Does anyone have a good way to fill a tall brew kettle in the sink?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shred

Former Microbrewery Founder & Pro Brewer
Reaction score
I just ordered a 16 Gallon kettle and I don't think I'll be able to get it under the faucet to fill it. Does anyone know of a food safe extension for either a garden hose hookup or regular faucet?

Depending on your faucet you should be able to find an adapter that would screw in where the aerator is and allow to hook up any sort of hose you like

That was my thought, just haven't had luck finding one yet. I don't want to use garden hose because nobody wants to drink hose water beer.

I'll do the best I can to explain this, but there is a garden hose fitting that will go on your faucet with the right adapter. The other end tapers down so that vinyl tubing can slide over. Think about the bottling bucket spigot where the tube slides on.

Lowes had these for a couple bucks. A few bucks more to buy the adapter that takes your faucet to the garden hose bit and you're in business. The tubing obviously won't give off any off-flavors. There are also food grade RV hoses that can work, so I hear.

Shred said:
I just ordered a 16 Gallon kettle and I don't think I'll be able to get it under the faucet to fill it. Does anyone know of a food safe extension for either a garden hose hookup or regular faucet?
I purchased 25' of beverage grade hose from my LHBS and added the appropriate fittings.
Don't forget to use a water filter & if you plan on using a shut-off valve at the filter end make sure the bev hose is high pressure.

Shred said:
BTW- are you planning on lifting this kettle after you've filled it?
Even if it's aluminum and you put 12 gallons in it it will weigh over 120 lbs. Not to mention slopping water everywhere.
Fill it in place, i.e., on your burner.

I just stuff 1/2" tubing INSIDE the faucet of my utility sink and it works just fine. Just run it up in there. If its real hard to get in there run some hot water on it and push it in. Easy like Sunday morning, no screwing, no connectors no issues.

Cheers

Jay

None of the above.

For filling, plumbing in a pot filler faucet is the way to go. They're fairly pricey at $100+ for a model that won't leak in your wall, but you'll recoup it in home value increase. Like so.

OBx3a.jpg

Otherwise, I have a tall pull-down sprayer for cleaning, but I don't fill with it.

yaLBw.jpg

I'll do the best I can to explain this, but there is a garden hose fitting that will go on your faucet with the right adapter. The other end tapers down so that vinyl tubing can slide over. Think about the bottling bucket spigot where the tube slides on.

Lowes had these for a couple bucks. A few bucks more to buy the adapter that takes your faucet to the garden hose bit and you're in business. The tubing obviously won't give off any off-flavors. There are also food grade RV hoses that can work, so I hear.

Good thought. I know the exact fitting you're talking about. I used it on my DIY wort chiller.

I purchased 25' of beverage grade hose from my LHBS and added the appropriate fittings.
Don't forget to use a water filter & if you plan on using a shut-off valve at the filter end make sure the bev hose is high pressure.

I've got an awesome under-sink filter on the cold water that only slightly slows the flow. The cartridges last 6 months and only cost about $40.

... I will eventually figure out how to quote multiple replies in one post. Next!

BTW- are you planning on lifting this kettle after you've filled it?
Even if it's aluminum and you put 12 gallons in it it will weigh over 120 lbs. Not to mention slopping water everywhere.
Fill it in place, i.e., on your burner.

I won't be doing 10 gallon batches to start with. My AG setup will still only accommodate 6 gallons. I bought the huge kettle with future expansions in mind. I'm FAR too lazy to carry 120 lbs from the kitchen to the garage. When the time comes, it will be done with multiple pots.

I just stuff 1/2" tubing INSIDE the faucet of my utility sink and it works just fine. Just run it up in there. If its real hard to get in there run some hot water on it and push it in. Easy like Sunday morning, no screwing, no connectors no issues.

Cheers

Jay

Whoa! I may have to try that!

I use my 5/8" OD blowoff hose to go over my utility sink spigot. Works beautifully, though I plan to pick up the screw-on adapter setup sooner or later. Though I realize you didn't ask how to rebuild your house, I will point out that my favorite part of mine is the 20 gallon sink in the garage.

Gallon pitcher? I could also see my undercounter kitchen sink give way from the weight.

Right now I'm using a 5 gallon pot and making a couple trips. The sink can hold me standing in it (replacing the window behind it) so I'm not concerned about the weight.

Come to think of it, the kettle is probably too wide for the basin anyway. I guess this whole thing is moot. :eek:

I use my 5/8" OD blowoff hose to go over my utility sink spigot. Works beautifully, though I plan to pick up the screw-on adapter setup sooner or later. Though I realize you didn't ask how to rebuild your house, I will point out that my favorite part of mine is the 20 gallon sink in the garage.

That would be amazing if for no other reason than having somewhere to outlet my wort chiller. Right now I run a hose down the drive way. That won't work in the winter thought (of course a sink in an unheated garage won't either).

Latest posts

Back