Does anyone have a clone recipe for Slightly Mighty, Day Time IPA or All Day IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leukass

Reaction score
Looking to make one of these low calorie IPA's. Trying to find a recipe for
Dogfish Head Slightly Mighty
Lagunitas Daytime IPA
Founders All Day IPA - the new lower calorie version...

Thanks

Looking to make one of these low calorie IPA's. Trying to find a recipe for
Dogfish Head Slightly Mighty
Lagunitas Daytime IPA
Founders All Day IPA - the new lower calorie version...

Thanks
If I recall all day is all cascade hops, only around 45 ibus, and just under 5%. May take a little tweaking to dial it in but should be rather easy to get one started. Judging by the taste I would think they use some biscuit. So maybe like;
90% 2 row
5% Carapils
5% biscuit

When I made my version of All Day I subbed in 2 lbs of MO (6lbs of pale), decreased the Crystal to 8oz, added 3oz of acidulated, added 8 oz of flaked oats, and more than doubled the dry hop (1 oz of Cryo Simcoe, 1 oz of Amarillo). Everything else was kept the same except I mashed at 154. It was delicious, close to the original, maybe better? ;-) and only 4.4%. I need to brew that one again...

Love session beers - one of the reasons I keep brewing our Irish Stout over and over and over.

I moved this from the Recipe Database, which is a database of tried-and-true recipes, to the Recipes/Ingredients forum, which is the place for questions asking for help with a recipe. Good luck with your brew!

I recently took a stab at a Hazy Session this summer for a pool party and it came out phenomenal. Built a grain bill that would result in a 5-5.5% abv beer if it finished around 1.010-1.012, but mashed much higher in temp so it came out much more fuller in body and lower in abv finishing around 1.020. Dry Hopped with Citra and Belma, and then Keg hopped with Belma and an experimental hop i had laying around. Came out fantastic and sooo easy drinking at 4.2% abv

If you are looking for LOW CAL, and want to have something around 4% and ~100 calories, you'll have to use enyzmes to ferment out all the sugar. Basically, these are all 4% brut IPA's.

I recently took a stab at a Hazy Session this summer for a pool party and it came out phenomenal. Built a grain bill that would result in a 5-5.5% abv beer if it finished around 1.010-1.012, but mashed much higher in temp so it came out much more fuller in body and lower in abv finishing around 1.020. Dry Hopped with Citra and Belma, and then Keg hopped with Belma and an experimental hop i had laying around. Came out fantastic and sooo easy drinking at 4.2% abv

Sounds nice, but that is 175 calories per 12 oz, if those are the real the numbers.

If you are looking for LOW CAL, and want to have something around 4% and ~100 calories, you'll have to use enyzmes to ferment out all the sugar. Basically, these are all 4% brut IPA's..
None of the beers he mentioned are brut IPAs...

Ok smart guy, go ahead and show everyone how you achieve 4% ABV and 100 or less calories.
Using low calorie grains like spelt, buckwheat, or rolled oats in conjunction with other low calorie adjuncts such as rice. Never ran it through a calculator but I’m pretty sure that’s how Michelob does it. Also lower mash temps and for longer

Last edited:
Ok smart guy, go ahead and show everyone how you achieve 4% ABV and 100 or less calories.

Address the issue, not the person. That's how we keep the conversations here civil.

I agree that is a difficult challenge. A Scottish Light I brewed a 1 1/2 years ago is a perfect example. 1.035 OG, 1.010 FG, 3.3% ABV, 114 calories. Close, but as you point out, not less than 100 calories.

Thanks all a few more questions...i am out of practice on recipes - it has-been while since i brewed - what would you guys replace this to drop calories?

And how would one add enzymes? And where are you calculating calories and carbs? i don't see it in brewsmith?

full
full

There are no "low calorie" ingredients in brewing. To simplify things greatly, one unit of sugar contains the same calories regardless of the source and alcohol and residual sugar are what provides calories to the beer. To get low cal beer, you need to reduce both. The aforementioned brands and beers like Mich Ultra ferment out as much of the sugars as possible so the only calories are from alcohol. The beer is then diluted with deaerated water to reach the target ABV and calorie spec. For brewing, they are using ingredients that are highly fermentable - rice, corn, wheat, sugar, corn syrup - and using enzymes like amylo-glucosidase, alpha/beta amylase, and others, to ensure the FG ends up around 0.998. They typically do not use any crystal malts or anything that is not entirely fermentable. For beers like Daytime, hopping is similar for a session IPA. In this way, these beers use the same process as Brut IPA's... light color, fermentable ingredients, and very dry finish. Some beers like Slightly Mighty back sweeten with stevia and monkfruit to add sweetness without calories.

If you want to make a nice, low ABV session beer, that recipe looks fine. If you want to make a 100 calorie beer, then you'll need to either brew a 2.5% ABV beer or use enzymes. For ease, I'd probably stick with making low ABV session beers and forget about the calories.

+1 to what @bierhaus15 said. Enzymes will change the nature of the beer - generally, I don't enjoy 'brut' beers made with enzymes nearly as much as small, sessionable beers.

In Beersmith, on the recipe building page, scroll down and on the right hand side (next to the estimations of OG, color, IBU etc.) will be a bunch of fields that you can look at. There is also a link to add whatever fields you want to that place. What you need to do is type in the OG and the expected FG and then the ABV and Calories fields will populate.

Have you scrolled through the HBT recipe database to see if there are any sessionable/low abv recipes in there you might enjoy?

yeah - i found a few on brewers friend i might try as well. I think i will try this recipe for all day ipa - and do a 10 gallon brew. Split it into 2 fermentors and let one ferment as is and add Beano to the second fermentor and see how it goes...

Thanks everyone

Last edited:
I've made several of these ultra light hoppy beers lately, back sweetened using this https://www.amazon.com/Monk-Drops-S...+sweetener&qid=1583458780&sprefix=monk&sr=8-5
Keep in mind it is slightly different than the one you posted, as it has no alchohol and is 100% monk fruit.
My typical dosage has been roughly .75 to 1 ml per gallon or about 100 drops per 5gal keg.
I have made a few tweaks and hop changes along the way, but this is my base recipe https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/919381/alchorexia-95cal-3g-carb-hoppy-ale
I always pitch the enzyme with the yeast and ferment down well below Plato everytime. Once kegged I add the monk fruit through the gas port using a big syringe. This makes for a very low cal/carb hoppy spritzy beer at over 4%abv.

Last edited:
Address the issue, not the person. That's how we keep the conversations here civil.

I agree that is a difficult challenge. A Scottish Light I brewed a 1 1/2 years ago is a perfect example. 1.035 OG, 1.010 FG, 3.3% ABV, 114 calories. Close, but as you point out, not less than 100 calories.
I happen to have brewed a Scottish Light right around the time you posted this. Mine had OG 1.033, F.G. 1.008, 3.3% ABV, and had 107 calories according to Beersmith. A good beer for staying hydrated!

I've made several of these ultra light hoppy beers lately, back sweetened using this https://www.amazon.com/Monk-Drops-S...+sweetener&qid=1583458780&sprefix=monk&sr=8-5
Keep in mind it is slightly different than the one you posted, as it has no alchohol and is 100% monk fruit.
My typical dosage has been roughly .75 to 1 ml per gallon or about 100 drops per 5gal keg.
I have made a few tweaks and hop changes along the way, but this is my base recipe https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/919381/alchorexia-95cal-3g-carb-hoppy-ale
I always pitch the enzyme with the yeast and ferment down well below Plato everytime. Once kegged I add the monk fruit through the gas port using a big syringe. This makes for a very low cal/carb hoppy spritzy beer at over 4%abv.

Right on, thanks for the suggestions! I will just use the servings/mL on each bottle to normalize against the two products and go from there.

I’m guessing the enzyme in primary helps bump efficiency, but always dose in primary as well.

How does the ~20 IBUs come off in this style? Bitter like a wcIPA or closer to a hazy?

I've only brewed one 'brut' style beer using amyloglucosidaise early in the mash (<140F where it denatures) along with alpha amylase in the late mash (~158F), and then another dosing of amylo in primary. Ending gravity was also below 0P (0.997 FG). It was OK for a brut and calculated calories and carbs were in Michelob Ultra territory. The body was thin however.

I was considering adding maltodextrin to the grain bill to build up body and mouthfeel but haven't been able to find references that state definitively whether amylo reduces maltodextrin. Not looking to replace dry/lite/low ABV with sweet/high carb/high ABV. Any insight?

Brooo Brother

I’m guessing the enzyme in primary helps bump efficiency, but always dose in primary as well.

How does the ~20 IBUs come off in this style? Bitter like a wcIPA or closer to a hazy?
The manufacturer's instructions state to add the enzyme to the mash, however to prevent any denaturing and to keep things simple I added it straight to primary. I have also read of people splitting the dose between the two, but I just wanted to keep it simple and have had good success.
The bittering level/addition is personal preference, but I have found that I like a small boil addition in these beers, but by the looks of the recipe you posted they omitted it in theirs. The monk fruit adds body as well, so I prefer to have some ibus there in order to allow a decent amount of back sweetening to accentuate the body as well.

I've only brewed one 'brut' style beer using amyloglucosidaise early in the mash (<140F where it denatures) along with alpha amylase in the late mash (~158F), and then another dosing of amylo in primary. Ending gravity was also below 0P (0.997 FG). It was OK for a brut and calculated calories and carbs were in Michelob Ultra territory. The body was thin however.

I was considering adding maltodextrin to the grain bill to build up body and mouthfeel but haven't been able to find references that state definitively whether amylo reduces maltodextrin. Not looking to replace dry/lite/low ABV with sweet/high carb/high ABV. Any insight?

Brooo Brother
I have not played with maltodextrins so take this with a grain of salt. But I do know that these are carbohydrates and will contribute to the carb/caloric value of your beer as they are largely unfermentable. However the recipe above that @isomerization posted does call for a small amount, just make sure to account for the cals/carbs.
The mouthfeel of my ultra lights are obviously thinner than my regular beers, but I have been happy with the combination of back sweetening, water chemistry and some flaked oat or something similar to get me into the acceptable range.

I have not played with maltodextrins so take this with a grain of salt. But I do know that these are carbohydrates and will contribute to the carb/caloric value of your beer as they are largely unfermentable. However the recipe above that @isomerization posted does call for a small amount, just make sure to account for the cals/carbs.
The mouthfeel of my ultra lights are obviously thinner than my regular beers, but I have been happy with the combination of back sweetening, water chemistry and some flaked oat or something similar to get me into the acceptable range.

I've come across a number of scientific papers that I need a microbiologist to decipher. Way beyond my pay grade. I did learn that "maltodextrin" comes in two variants: one that is "digestible" and one that is "not digestible", but the digestibility seems to refer to "by enzymes found in the human digestive tract". I'm led to conclude that the "maltodextrin" we use in brewing would be/are converted by enzymes like amyloglucosidase even though it may not be reduced by beta and alpha amylase enzymes. If so, I'd likely be adding calories but not adding mouthfeel by including maltodextrin and then mashing with gluco in the mix, while also upping the ABV. Flaked oats might be a good alternative along with skipping the gluco or any diastaticus variant of yeast. Simple malt bill with Chico yeast may be the best pathway.

Brooo Brother

I've come across a number of scientific papers that I need a microbiologist to decipher. Way beyond my pay grade. I did learn that "maltodextrin" comes in two variants: one that is "digestible" and one that is "not digestible", but the digestibility seems to refer to "by enzymes found in the human digestive tract". I'm led to conclude that the "maltodextrin" we use in brewing would be/are converted by enzymes like amyloglucosidase even though it may not be reduced by beta and alpha amylase enzymes. If so, I'd likely be adding calories but not adding mouthfeel by including maltodextrin and then mashing with gluco in the mix, while also upping the ABV. Flaked oats might be a good alternative along with skipping the gluco or any diastaticus variant of yeast. Simple malt bill with Chico yeast may be the best pathway.

Brooo Brother

I am unsure of what your goal is, but it sounds like you are talking about adding maltodextrin to the mash? If so, alpha amylase is capable of breaking down maltodextrin (glucose units linked by alpha 1,4 bonds).

I am unsure of what your goal is, but it sounds like you are talking about adding maltodextrin to the mash? If so, alpha amylase is capable of breaking down maltodextrin (glucose units linked by alpha 1,4 bonds).

My goal is to add more body to the finished beer. My thinking was to add maltodextrin to the mash to lend more body and mouthfeel to the finished beer, since since limit dextrines might be more abundant. My concern was that amyloglucodaise, which is capable of breaking the alpha 1,4 and 1,6 bonds would negate the effect of greater mouthfeel.

My overall objective is to make a low calorie, low carbohydrate sessionable beer that, unlike Michelob Ultra, has taste and a semblance of body. I'm increasingly doubtful that can be achieved.

Brooo Brother

My goal is to add more body to the finished beer. My thinking was to add maltodextrin to the mash to lend more body and mouthfeel to the finished beer, since since limit dextrines might be more abundant. My concern was that amyloglucodaise, which is capable of breaking the alpha 1,4 and 1,6 bonds would negate the effect of greater mouthfeel.

My overall objective is to make a low calorie, low carbohydrate sessionable beer that, unlike Michelob Ultra, has taste and a semblance of body. I'm increasingly doubtful that can be achieved.

Brooo Brother

Ok gotcha, on the same page now. I would recommend using kveik yeast, as I believe they produce a higher bodied beer (maybe more glycerol at high ferm temps). Inclusion of protein-rich grains would also help. Finally, dry hopping with polyphenol-rich varietals can increase perception of body in finished beer too.

I had previously seen your recipe on Brewer's Friend and had played around with it a bit in BeerSmith. Somehow I had glossed over the Monk Fruit back sweetening step. Since the gluco is added in fermentation along with the yeast, doesn't that up the glycemic index and increase the ABV along with more carbs and calories? Also, how strong is the sweetening? My concern would be if it might be a cloyingly sweet addition or whether it would tend to balance out a larger hop bill, thus giving flavor, taste and aroma to a low carb/cal beer. Interesting addition, but a little pricey.

Brooo Brother

Ok gotcha, on the same page now. I would recommend using kveik yeast, as I believe they produce a higher bodied beer (maybe more glycerol at high ferm temps). Inclusion of protein-rich grains would also help. Finally, dry hopping with polyphenol-rich varietals can increase perception of body in finished beer too.

Great idea. I've got some Kveik from Omega that I've been looking for a 'project' to use it on. Thanks.

Brooo Brother

I had previously seen your recipe on Brewer's Friend and had played around with it a bit in BeerSmith. Somehow I had glossed over the Monk Fruit back sweetening step. Since the gluco is added in fermentation along with the yeast, doesn't that up the glycemic index and increase the ABV along with more carbs and calories? Also, how strong is the sweetening? My concern would be if it might be a cloyingly sweet addition or whether it would tend to balance out a larger hop bill, thus giving flavor, taste and aroma to a low carb/cal beer. Interesting addition, but a little pricey.

Brooo Brother
Monk fruit is a zero calorie, zero carb sweetener. I backsweeten to taste post fermentation.

Solid beer, very similar to brut IPAs I’ve done, just a bit softer, presumably from the monk fruit extract.

upload_2020-3-29_8-21-27.jpeg

Not sure that I’d brew it again, but nice to know the option is there!

Back