Does anyone else run their chilled wort through a paint straining bag before going into fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
one time when I wasn’t paying a lot of attention and was messing with a strainer bag, some wort dumped across my hand into the fermenter. This turned into a major infection, and I ended up losing four entire batches before I got it out. The infection got into everything including the beer lines. I ended up sterilizing or replacing it all which was a pain.

Sorry, I have to ask it.....what exactly were those fingers doing before they got some wort splashed on them?

I'll ask for forgiveness now for being :off:....

But then one time when I wasn’t paying a lot of attention and was messing with a strainer bag, some wort dumped across my hand into the fermenter. This turned into a major infection, and I ended up losing four entire batches before I got it out. The infection got into everything including the beer lines. I ended up sterilizing or replacing it all which was a pain. The more you mess with things, the greater the risk.

Clean straining bags, buckets, hands/arms are all rinsed with sanitizer. > 25 years and no problems using this method.

I use whirflock and a smaller biab bag as a filter.

But, hey, you need to sterilise that. Ethanol on the bag and up to the elbows. 1 minute of contact, at least.

with some styles, such as using homegrown leaf hops, I pour through this into bucket
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004NG9E1I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
otherwise, I dumpeth the totality into the fermenter; it clears
I will have to remember this, last year I put 20 ounces of fresh picked Nugget, 20 minutes off the bines, into hop and steeping bags when i did my 5.5 gallon harvest ale. it was good but when cleaning the hops out of the bags noticed that a lot of lupulin was still there even though they had been in for last half of boil. I was thinking this year of throwing them in commando but did not know how to keep them out of the fermenter. think you just solved my problem.

Last edited:
think you just solved my problem.

It can require two or more "pours" from the kettle depending on the batch size and total hop volume, so keep a sanitized spoon or dumping system ready for the strainer
This is from a 4g batch w 6oz pellet hops total, what was left in boil kettle
1625399256380.png

and what the strainer held on first pour
1625399289976.png

With even 1oz fresh hops, the strainer would be pretty full, letting little liquid through, requiring emptying.

Just so you know.

It can require two or more "pours" from the kettle depending on the batch size and total hop volume, so keep a sanitized spoon or dumping system ready for the strainer
This is from a 4g batch w 6oz pellet hops total, what was left in boil kettle
View attachment 734401

and what the strainer held on first pour
View attachment 734402

With even 1oz fresh hops, the strainer would be pretty full, letting little liquid through, requiring emptying.

Just so you know.
I am sorry, but in my experience/use/etc, strainers as shown are a real PITA with clogging and filtering.

I am sorry, but in my experience/use/etc, strainers as shown are a real PITA with clogging and filtering.

I think "it depends". I used to use a funnel and mesh strainer ages ago, for stuff going into the carboy from the boil kettle, and yep it was a huge PITA. But for a year or two I've used a hop spider during my boils, and I can lift that out of the wort, give it just a couple seconds worth of up / down shaking, and practically every drop of wort has come out and there's an actual ball of hops in the bottom.

I think it'll come down to - can you keep your filter clear easily enough for it to be worth it.

I've got a couple beers fermenting right now so I won't be able to try it soon but for my next few beers I'll give it a shot. An old hop spider fits 3/4 or more into my Big Mouth bubbler. I'll try to remember to report back.

Last edited:
I completely agree, @Tobor_8thMan , and use it in only two recipes.

I am a confirmed BIAB, DIAITF* brewer.

*Dump It All In The Fermenter

I agree with these guys.
I've tried various methods to minimize crud transfer, and all of them were either a PIA and/or ineffective.

I've come down to "if it flows, it goes" (into the fermenter)

I've tried various methods to minimize crud transfer, and all of them were either a PIA and/or ineffective.

I have also tried various methods. For many years my process was to let the trub settle for a bit while I cleaned gear. I would then rack using my auto-siphon leaving the worst of the trub and hops behind. With my 2.5 gallon batches, I started pouring the wort through a strainer and funnel. This works pretty well at removing most of the hops. I started using this process for my 5 gallon batches, but lifting and pouring the larger volume is awkward. The last batch I went back to using my auto-siphon method. One of these days I will get a kettle with a ball valve.

I am pretty sure that having some trub is good for fermentation. I have not seen much evidence that adding all the trub is overly bad (and I have done it multiple times myself). Trub can take up valuable fermenter space (more of an issue with my 3 gallon fermenters). I harvest yeast, so reducing the amount of trub might be a good thing there.

I do this it is a good idea to limit the amount of hop matter from the boil that makes it into the fermenter, though I don't have much proof that it makes a difference. Since I dry hop loose in the kettle, using the strainer to remove hop matter was my primary motivation. I might pick up a hop spider at some point.

Fermonster sells two types of bags that fit into the fermenter, and I have thought of picking up one. It could be useful for dry hopping but also as a filter to strain out hops (and maybe some trub). MonsterMesh Strainer for FermMonster Carboys | MoreBeer

I am a confirmed BIAB, DIAITF* brewer.

*Dump It All In The Fermenter

LOL, Yeah a new acronym. I do whirlpool and leave a lot that way, but if it is in the kettle and gets into the fermenter, oh well. No harm, no foul. My beers don't generally get clear until they are in the keg at 35 f or so waiting for a spot in the keggerator. :cool:

Latest posts

Back