does 5 gal carboy mean 5 gal to the very tip?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jigidyjim

Reaction score
I just racked to my 5 gal carboy as a secondary, something I don't normally do (I usually only use primary). Anyway, I was somewhat surprised at how much room there was at the top of the carboy after filling it. I know I lose some to trub in the primary, and that since the top of the carboy narrows it might be an illusion as to how much space is left, but it got me wondering...

when a carboy is "5 gal", does that mean to the very tip of the carboy? Or does that mean something else?

Thanks.

I know 5 gallons in mine leaves only a few inches of empty space. Chances are you didn't get a full 5 gallons when you racked from your primary, I know I never do.

5gal carboy is about 5gal right where the top curves toward the opening. found out while etching gallon increments on my carboys adding 1gal at a time.

etching, how did you do this? got pics??
Just acid etching and some painters tape. You blob some on for 20-30 minutes and wash it off. As far as pics, they never turned out good and you doesn't show up well.

This isn't my work, I wish I could take credit though:

This shows how I etched gallon/half gallon marks on my carboy using glass acid etch.
This is what you need:
1. Carboy
2. Masking tape 1/2" and 1" (or whatever you want, I already had these)
3. Armor Etch Glass etching (got it from Roberts Craft)
4. Flux brush
5. Scrapbooking letter set.
carb1.jpg

Add a half gallon of water at a time, and mark it with the masking tape. I just centered the 1/2" tape over the water line. Then add your numbers from the stencil set. Then dump out the water.
carb2.jpg

Add the etching cream with the flux brush and let sit for about 10 minutes.
carb3.jpg

Wash off the acid with tap water and remove the masking tape.
carb4.jpg

And that's it
I got a little bleed through with the acid, but my masking tape is pretty old.

Man, that's cool. I'm too lazy to get that fancy, but I sure do like the way that looks.

Wait a minute...are those SEVEN gallon carboys? I've never seen a seven gallon carboy.

Wait a minute...are those SEVEN gallon carboys? I've never seen a seven gallon carboy.

Nah, those are the regular smooth-sided 6.5 Gallon ones usually sold for winemaking, but they do HOLD 7 gallons if you max them out...

I do the simple-man's version of that. I have an engraving tool (about $8 from Harbor Freight, but that's not the actual one I have) that I use on it's lowest setting. Just pour water in a gallon at a time, mark the level with a Sharpie, empty the carboy and engrave a line and a number next to it.

Latest posts

Back