Doce de Abobora Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JM-brew

Reaction score
Been checking out some of the pumpkin ale recipes on the board and came across something interesting here in Brazil the other day. I was at a friends house and he had bought some 'doce de abobora com coco' and it was pretty amazing. It's like pumpkin pie filling except really dense. Like dense enough that they sell it in little blocks. Something like this
abobora-com-coco.jpg

but the one I had actually had chunks of coconut in it.
How could I incorporate that into a pumpkin ale recipe? Any ideas? I think I'll try a 1 gallon batch and go from there. Not sure if I should go with ale yeast or if this would be a good idea for a siason.

From what I'm reading I should add the doce de abobora to the mash, and then additional spices to the secondary fermentation (according to taste).

As always thanks for the suggestions and sorry for stupid questions.

This is the recipe I adapted from several others I've seen:

.726 kg marris otter
.226 kg munich II
.09 kg carared
mash @ 152 - 90 minutes

230 g doce de abóbora com coco [60 min]
12 g Chinook [60 min]
Whirlflock [15 min]

Any suggestions? I know Chinook is pretty strong, but it's what I have in the freezer right now. Since the doce de abóbora already has spices in it, I was going to wait until it's time to move it to secondary to see if it really needs additional spices or not.

I would put it in at knock out or maybe for the last five minutes. I figure that it has already been cooked once, no reason to cook it again, but the heat will help dissolve it. I might even throw it (cubed) into the fermenter as fermentation starts to slow. I didn't find anything about commercial doce de abobora, but there is obviously a thickening agent in it, whether it be naturally from the pumpkin or not, so you could pick up a haze. I don't know that I've helped much, but hopefully something is useful.

No, it does help. I think putting it in for the last 5 min would give it enough time to dissolve. I didn't consider the fact that it has already been cooked. Thanks for the help.

20141118_233855.jpg

IMG_20141118_235831.jpg

This is the stuff I used. I got a little worried because because I saw potassium sorbate on the ingredients list, but I pitched about 5g of Nottingham and was fermenting good a few hours later. Now just have to wait and see how it turns out.

Back