Do Saisons Age Well?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ilan34

Reaction score
I brewed a saison with an OG of 1.063 that dried out all the way down to 1.001. It was in primary for 3.5 weeks and in the bottle for five weeks. I fermented at 65 for 24 hours and then let it free rise to 77 and held it there for another 12 days.

I tried one last night... Tastes alright, smells good, got some pepper and booziness in the finish. It seems like it's young though, it doesn't quite pop and there's more alcohol taste than I expected, based on how it tasted at bottling. The recipe is very close to the one in Brewing Classic Styles.

Do Saisons typically benefit from some aging, especially an 8+% like this one?

Thanks!

Oh, yes. Like there's really a question?

Best Saison I ever had was my first one -- a couple of years after I made it. It started out tasting off (I don't remember what I didn't like about it), and I put the bottles on a back shelf in the garage… and forgot about it.

Found them all covered in dust – just like the movies when they pull an aged bottle of something – and they were all great. Absolutely wonderful.

So… yes, by all means, let them age.

Seems to be anonymous.... I'll do so, but I have a terrible problem with being patient. I'm thinking I'll try another one in two months.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

Lol I meant unanimous

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

You inspired me to have one tonight that's about 9 months old, I usually keg but this is the reason to bottle more, delicious!
Was crystal clear till I over poured.

IMG_2466.jpg

Ditto. I have only brewed one saison..... a second runnings beer off of another batch. Got better and better over 6-9 months. Got so good it was gone after that. Been meaning to brew another, not gotten around to it though. Honestly, never thought much of saisons, but that one that I brewed really changed my mind. Nice drinking beer.

I just had a 22 if my Meyer lemon white pepper saison. Brewed 10 months ago. Great flavor till this day, lost some of the saison funk but kept the pepper and lemon nicely

Back