Do I want this contacting my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALExanderH

Reaction score
Sure, I've had a few and decided I would try to make a dip tube for my bottling bucket from an old bottling wand. Armed with a candle I started heating it and bending. It worked all right but obviously it burned and now there are black burn marks and bubbled plastic - yet it's still air and liquid tight. Will the burn marks harm my beer during bottling?

IMG_20160426_201331.jpg

Try a test with water and see if you get any noticeable off flavor. Otherwise, it doesn't look pretty but I would say go for it. Just for bottling it is not going to be in extended contact with the beer.

IDK you would need to test it checking for air bubbles.

When bending plastic tube use yur stove burner to heat your tube and have cooling water handy. Just do not overheat. Makes a smooth tube / no burn marks.

Next time try hot water, a heat gun, or even a hair dryer for warming the tubing ;)

I would personally toss it.

no need to toss it...cut the end off and try again.

Happened to me the first time I made mine, cut it off and start again. You could try higher above the candle keeping it moving and having patience or try another method.

Back