Do I NEED to replace poppet o rings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orangemen5

Reaction score
I just received 4 pin locks in great condition. I have new gaskets for the posts, lid and dip tubes. Forgot about the poppet orings. The aren't leaking. Should I replace them anyway? They were used for soda. Will I get a soda taste from them?

Kinda depends on the condition they are in and what soda was in them. For the price, I just replace them and never worry about it. While you are at it, just buy some extras. Eventually you'll need them and it's sure to be at an inconvenient time.

I'll prob just replace them. I did soak them in PBW. But I couldn't get them out is the only reason I asked. I didn't want to break the legs off trying to pry them out.

I'll prob just replace them. I did soak them in PBW. But I couldn't get them out is the only reason I asked. I didn't want to break the legs off trying to pry them out.

When the poppets get snug, I use a long, thin needle nose pliers and pull the buggers out.

If you are having trouble getting them out, definitely replace them. They are being held in there by some dried concoction that you don't want touching your beer.

Poppet o-rings is tricky, because you can't easily find replacements for some of them. Some are like trapezoidal instead of round -- I tried replacing one or two but caused leaks (!), requiring all new poppets. Now I only replace as-needed, which means roughly never.

Latest posts

Back