Do I need Sorbistat K & Potassium Metabisofate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgerBrigade

Reaction score
I have one of those between Keg filter kits with the one micron filter and I'm planning to filter this cider for clarity but I don't know if the filter will take all the yeast out?

I'm back sweetening one of the ciders so I need to make sure the yeast is dead so if I filter the cider do I still need to use Sorbistat K and potassium metabisulfite? If yes, how much per gallon?

Also, someone told me Sorbistate K leaves a taste.... Can I do without this? Or Another stabilizer is sodium benzoate I'm told.... Is this better? I don't want funny tastes...

I've never used the kit you describe, but I can tell you that you don't need to filter your cider to get crystal clear cider. The yeast will drop out all by themselves with time, and there will still be enough yeast left in suspension to bottle condition your cider, tho those yeast will not be visible to the naked eye.

I never tried to backsweeten a cider & still have it come out sparkling. For still wines, the typical dosage for stabilization is 1 campden tab per gallon of wine & 1/4 or 1/2 teaspoon of sorbate per gallon of wine. I don't use sorbate, so you'll have to follow the directions on the pkg there.

There is also this option:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/easy-stove-top-pasteurizing-pics-193295/
Regards, GF.

Back