Do I need rice hulls in my 5 gallon partial mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zigs6

Reaction score
I'm doing a Belgian Wit next week and will have 12% torrified wheat and 12% oats in a partial mash in a 5 gallon igloo cooler. In pounds it will be 3 lbs of oats, 3 lbs of torrified wheat and 6 pounds of 6 row. The 12 total pounds will be placed in a large grain bag and I'm going for 60 minutes @ 154 F. Will this require rice hulls or will it not matter since I will be removing the grain bag at the end anyhow.

Using a bag you will most likely be fine. Rice hulls are typically used when there is a chance of sticking the run off in a mash tun, this doesn't really happen w a bag due to all the surface area for drainage.

I'm doing a Belgian Wit next week and will have 12% torrified wheat and 12% oats in a partial mash in a 5 gallon igloo cooler. In pounds it will be 3 lbs of oats, 3 lbs of torrified wheat and 6 pounds of 6 row. The 12 total pounds will be placed in a large grain bag and I'm going for 60 minutes @ 154 F. Will this require rice hulls or will it not matter since I will be removing the grain bag at the end anyhow.

First question (indirect): why would this be a partial mash? Are you adding this to extract?

Second question (direct): How is the wort getting into the kettle? Will you be lautering from the igloo? Is so, then definitely throw in some rice hulls. That much wheat and oats can cause a problem. If you are not lautering and/or sparging, then you should be ok. If you will be taking the bag out and then dumping the remaining wort into the kettle, no need for rice hulls.

Ya I won't be lautering. I'll just be removing the bag, dumping that wort into the boil kettle and adding extract.

Back