Do I need a thermowell?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PLOVE

Reaction score
Building a BCS-460 based E-brewing rig. I would like to install 4" thermoprobes in my liquor tank and boiling kettle. Do I need thermowells? Or could I just screw a naked probe into a 1/2" NPT coupling connected to a weldless bulkhead?

I see a need for thermowell as protection from open flame, but is it necessary for an immersion probe on an electric rig?

Thanks
Pete

Probe Details:
Immersion temperature probe, 10K ohm NTC thermistor input. 4" (10 cm) 304 SS stem and 1/4" NPT brass adapter with compression sleeve for adjustable insertion length. Accuracy of 0.2°C, Operating temperature -40°C to 125°C

itp410k_6_dis.jpg

That pic already shows a compression fitting but it is 1/4" npt. You can either use a reducing bushing or go with the 1/4" tube to 1/2" npt comp. Fitting.

If you don't already have a bulkhead just use a 1/4" npt locknut and gasket to make it weldless.

That pic already shows a compression fitting but it is 1/4" npt. You can either use a reducing bushing or go with the 1/4" tube to 1/2" npt comp. Fitting.

If you don't already have a bulkhead just use a 1/4" npt locknut and gasket to make it weldless.

Thanks guys! I clearly missed the part about the fitting being 1/4" npt on the kettle side. Looks like I'll have to invest in 1/4" compression to 1/2 NPT fittings if I want to keep everything standard.

Thanks!
pete

Latest posts

Back