Do I need a secondary regulator or just a manifold distribution block?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChiknNutz

Reaction score
Just moved to kegging and only have one keg in play but have another I plan to fill within a week or two. As such, I need some type of distribution from the primary regulator. I am waffling between the two based on significant cost delta. Also wondering if a really need the gauges of a secondary. I've been planning to get a 4-way something...3 for kegs and one for other uses such as pressurized transfers. I only have two kegs at present but will get a third one in the near future. The reason I *think* I need the versatility of a secondary is so I can have whatever pressure I want for each keg and then for transfers, burst carbing, etc. But, if I can get away with a manifold, all the better. Just thinking if I go with a manifold, I will shortly wish I'd just got the secondary as that's almost always how it goes.

I just went with a manifold for my 4 keg setup mainly because of cost. I'm not a stickler about pressurizing to style so I'm ok with all my beers having the same CO2 volumes. I do burst carb so I just turn the pressure off to the other 3 kegs while I'm burst carbing. If I do need beer from the other kegs, there is enough gas in the head space to pull a few pints and if needed, I can quickly open and close the manifold to that keg if I need more gas in the head space.

I went with a manifold because of cost but also because when talking about style, higher carbed beers tend to be served colder ...

So i feel like if I want flatter warmer beer, then just do a hard pour into a warmer glass...if i want fizzy cold beer, then pour like normal into a chilled glass...

Yes the foaming can be annoying, but its no different than letting a Guinness settle I suppose...

I'm working on moving to kegging as well, using duotight fittings. I am going to use several tees and an inline regulator to do this. From the primary regulator to a tee where i will split off higher pressure CO2 for burst carbing and other uses. The other side of the tee will go to an inline regulator (4.99 without guage, 1299 with at Morebeer) to 2 more tees giving me 3 outlets at a lower serving pressure.

Back