Do I have enough Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spartangreen

Reaction score
I overshot my gravity. It was supposed to be 1078 ended up being 1090.
I had made a 1L Starter the day before (24hrs) with 4oz of DME with yeast nutrient and 1 vial of WLP001 Liquid yeast.

Will this be enough yeast or do I need to buy another vial and dump it in the feremtner?

Thanks

Details
5.5g batch

13.5lbs 2-row
22 oz. (0.62 kg) flaked oats
1.0 lb. (0.45 kg) chocolate malt (350 °L)
12 oz. (0.34 kg) roast barley malt (450 °L)
9.0 oz. (0.25 kg) debittered, black malt (530 °L)
7.0 oz. (0.19 kg) crystal malt (120 °L)
2.0 oz. (57 g) ground Sumatran coffee
2.0 oz. (57 g) ground Kona coffee
2.5 oz. (71 g) dark, bittersweet baker’s chocolate
1.5 oz. (43 g) unsweetened chocolate baking nibs
14.3 AAU Nugget pellet hops (60 min.) (1.1 oz./ 31 g of 13% alpha acid)
2.5 AAU Willamette pellet hops (30 min.) (0.5 oz./ 14 g of 5 % alpha acid)
2.5 AAU Willamette pellet hops (0 min.) (0.5 oz./ 14 g of 5 % alpha acid)
1⁄2 tsp. Irish moss (last 15 minutes
White Labs WLP 001 (American Ale)

Last edited:
According to Mr. Malty, you would need a 1.5L starter even with 2 vials. I would say you are definitely under pitched. You didn't mention the manufacture date of your yeast, and this would affect the pitching rate as well.

Regardless, I would say you are definitely under pitched. Whether or not you want to throw in another vial is up to you.

Did you just brew this, or has it been going a few days? It may be too late for adding more yeast to be of more benefit. Maybe someone smarter than me can weigh in.

Capture.PNG

How much yeast you need for that beer depends a lot on how much oxygen you get into the wort before you pitch. If you aerate by splashing, you probably don't have enough. If you use a pump and airstone, you might. If you use an airstone and pure oxygen, you probably have more than you need. Yeast multiply in the fermenter but they need oxygen to build cell walls.

The yeast was dated in March 15th (So Manufactured December 15th, which is good!
Just brewed yesterday and wouldn't expect any activity this early. I'll drop another vial directly in the carboy this evening.
I wort was poured in through a funnel so I feel the aeration is fine.

The yeast was dated in March 15th (So Manufactured December 15th, which is good!
Just brewed yesterday and wouldn't expect any activity this early. I'll drop another vial directly in the carboy this evening.
I wort was poured in through a funnel so I feel the aeration is fine.

I would definitely pitch another vial then.

Follow up.
Took a gravity reading yesterday its been 2 weeks plus a day and 1 week since I saw any airlock activity.
FG 1.022 for a 9% abv
Great taste-I'll let it sit another week before kegging.

Back