DMS & 90 Min boil in a 7.5 gal kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyGooglenerd

Reaction score
I'm planning the Cottage Saison for my 4th of July brew session and am new to pilsner malt brewing. I read many places on this site about 90 minutes boils for pilsen dominated brews and wanted to ask a technique question.

I have a mash tun cooler and will mash and sparge there, but my boil kettle at 7.5 gallons is a bit short for a 90 min boil to get my target 5.5 gallon cooled wort finish. I'm using beersmith to help with the volume calcs.

My thinking is to do a mash/sparge to get about a 6.5 gal preboil, and then do another smaller sparge (about 1 gallon) to get the 7.5 gallons I need for a 90 minute boil or just sparge the correct amount first but hold about a gallon back and add this smaller volume mid boil at some point. I have 2 burners so it won't be a problem to get the 1 gallon top-off to temperature before adding to the main boil so as to keep the boil rolling.

I guess my main concern is hop utilization doing this but since the added volume is small it's probably not going to effect it that much and I would add it as early as possible in the boil.

Or another option is just to top off in the fermenter.

Any thought on a mid boil addition of second runnings for a 90 min boil? Thanks!

Mid-boil addition of your second runnings would be the way I would go. however, I would bring the second runnings to boil prior to adding them to the main boil. Your biggest issue will be volume-related otherwise as your boil-off rate will be a challenge starting with the 7.5 gallons. You will also lose volume during cooling and to trub-loss depending on how you are calculating final volume to the fermenter.

Latest posts

Back