DME in Baking and Shakes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julioardz

Reaction score
Shakes:
Carnation's Malted Milk powder lists the ingredients as wheat flour and malted barley extracts, dry whole milk, salt, and baking soda. I don't remember Ovaltine's ingredients, but I know there are more and some of them seem a bit strange to me. I prefer the flavor and simpler ingredients of Carnation. Both however, have a flavor the remind me of malt extracts and pre-hopped wort. Looking at Carnation's list of ingredients, I decided to mix equal parts of whole wheat flour and dry malt extact (DME). I now keep that mix in an airtight jar in the fridge and add 2 tablespoons to my shakes.

I looked online and found that some people make their own malted milk powder by mixing only malt powder and dry milk. I already make my shakes with milk, so it seemed a little redundant to add dry milk powder. Plus, I assume the wheat flour adds to the taste and texture that I prefer. What I am confused about is the malt powder that people talk about. Are malt powder and DME the same thing?

On to baking:
I made a challah loaf following this recipe, but cut in half. I used a little less flour and added a 1/4 cup of light DME. It added a wonderful flavor, but on top of that, I am noticing that when I make these loafs, they stay fresh and soft longer than my other breads. Would DME act as a preservative?

I would be interested to know if and how anyone else is using malt extract when baking, cooking, or preparing drinks.

I've used plain LME in shakes or just malted milk. It's much nicer than the grocery store products, and way cheaper. I always just used the palest kind.

I use LME in my BBQ sauce instead of honey, it tastes great & doesn't burn as fast as honey. A lot of people have a hard time identifying just what that flavour is, but they like it. It's also really great in oatmeal instead of sugar.
Regards, GF.

I have put LME on ribs instead of honey, too. Turned out great.

Awesome! It's great to see other other uses for malt extract. It's time to make breakfast around here. I think I'm going to make some bacon malt waffles this morning.

Here is Guate there are distributors who sell DME/LME to the food industry. The Central American palate tends to favor very sweet stuff so the food industry here is the real market for extracts. Homebrewers are not on their radar, only a handful of us here, but we have found a few extracts which are suitable for brewing.

Hmmm...maybe use some DME in pancakes with bananas?! Kinda like bananas foster or other. And replace the table sugar with demerara sugar...

Dang. I never even thought about using DME in shakes. And other stuff. I might have to give it a try some time. I have some bananas in the freezer just for making banana ice cream with the kid. Maybe I should try a banana malt...

Dang. I never even thought about using DME in shakes. And other stuff. I might have to give it a try some time. I have some bananas in the freezer just for making banana ice cream with the kid. Maybe I should try a banana malt...

Damn, that sounds good. I have loads of bananas at my place. Now I have another reason to keep up my DME stock.

...and a shot of dark rum for an "adult" shake!

JonM said:
Waffles, eh? Care to share your batter recipe?

Give you mine.
1.5 cup sourdough starter
1.5 cup flour
Mix and let sit over night
In the morning add
.25 cup powdered milk
.25 cup oil
1.5 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
Mix the above.
Mix 1.5 tsp baking soda in .75 cup water
Add to batter mixture.

I wonder how some DME would work for sugar. Probably easier in pancakes. I have tried subbing honey for the sugar and it didn't brown as well and also stuck to the iron

I use Munich LME in my soft pretzels. I tried using wort in place of both the water and the LME, but I couldn't quite tune the flavor I wanted (which might be more of an issue with my mash efficiency, but that's another thread :) ).

Throw a teaspoon or two in even just-add-water pancake mix, works very well. My wife hates me for it as she can't figure out what I'm doing different from when she makes pancakes. :)

Throw a teaspoon or two in even just-add-water pancake mix, works very well. My wife hates me for it as she can't figure out what I'm doing different from when she makes pancakes. :)

I do the same, really does change the taste and makes it tasty. We go to breakfast at a dinner near us that has malted pancakes on the menue, I always get those.

I do the same, really does change the taste and makes it tasty. We go to breakfast at a dinner near us that has malted pancakes on the menue, I always get those.

I wonder if they use Carbon malted flour mix - based out of South Bend - my grandpa used to work there for years and I always loved visiting the area and getting Malted pancakes/waffles

Back