DME - Best Price Per Pound

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the75

Reaction score
What's a good Price Per Pound to pay for DME? I want to buy 50 pounds of Extra Light DME, but wanted to see what price per pound should be expected. $3? $4? I think my LHBS wants $5/lbs for their 3 lbs bags. Seems high.

Yep, $5 a pound IS pretty high -- I paid that for a few batches from by LHBS, but quickly started looking for an alternative. That's when I found Labelpeelers.com .

Right now they have a 25% off all DME sale going....so you can get a 50-lb bag of Briess light DME for $109.45. Or a 55-lb bag of Muntons for $129 and change. Not sure what the ground shipping will be out to the West Coast (it was super-cheap for me; however, I'm in Ohio) ... but you're still probably looking at under $3 a pound.

Just be sure to keep it in an airtight container after you open it -- as you probably know, DME is hydrophilic and will grab any moisture it can...and you want powdered DME to add to your boil, not caked DME.

I think my LHBS wants $5/lbs for their 3 lbs bags. Seems high.

If this is the case,It come out about $1.67..a pound.Thats pretty good.
Seems all online shop are around $3.00 and over.
For some reason "West Coast" homebrewers aren't in group buys..???
The last one i was in,A guy got a 50# sack for $90.00

If this is the case,It come out about $1.67..a pound.Thats pretty good.
Seems all online shop are around $3.00 and over.
For some reason "West Coast" homebrewers aren't in group buys..???
The last one i was in,A guy got a 50# sack for $90.00

he was saying it was $5 PER pound for a 3 lb bag ($15 total)

he was saying it was $5 PER pound for a 3 lb bag ($15 total)

Yes, thanks for clarifying.
I just bought from Austin Homebrew! Great bottom line price after shipping.
Came out to about $2.70 per pound total. Now how about storage? What type of airtight container do you guys use to store this stuff? Any tips for a beginner?

Came out to about $2.70 per pound total. Now how about storage? What type of airtight container do you guys use to store this stuff? Any tips for a beginner?

To add to this I put my extra DME in the fridge (and in airlock container). IDK just seemed like the thing to do when I did it. Does that matter?

Get one of the 5 gallon white buckets from Home Depot (about $5), and a Gamma lid (about $7). All the local HD have them (I'm in Carlsbad). The gamma lid is pretty cool for long term storage... it's airtight and twists off easily. Perfect for storing a large amount of DME.

evrose said:
Get one of the 5 gallon white buckets from Home Depot (about $5), and a Gamma lid (about $7). All the local HD have them (I'm in Carlsbad). The gamma lid is pretty cool for long term storage... it's airtight and twists off easily. Perfect for storing a large amount of DME.

Sweet! I saw those lids at Lowe's and was hoping I could find a reason to buy one, thanks!

Latest posts

Back