DIY Stir Plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolves63

Reaction score
I have created a plate out of a cigar box, a 120mm fan, 12v 500 mA power supply, a pulse width modulator and a 1 inch stir bar and I haven't been able to get the stir bar to stay as it is spinning up. It starts great, but then will fly away from the middle. I have tried with and without water and still run into the problem. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You didn't mention what you used for the motivating magnet(s).

Otherwise, check your z-axis spacing from the magnets on the fan hub to the bottom of the flask. Too much spacing will cut the coupling force quite a bit...

Cheers!

I found with mine that same issue was caused by an under powered magnet. Once I replaced it with a magnet from a newer hard drive and got it centered (as best you can) it worked flawlessly, even on uneven surfaces now.

If you have a stir magnet with a hub it will fly off easier.
I put some small o rings on the ends of mine and that fixed it.

It is from a hard drive maybe 6 years old. Sorry about taking so long to respond life got in the way. The stir bar does have a ridge on it. Maybe placing 2 O-rings will fix it.

If you have a stir magnet with a hub it will fly off easier.
I put some small o rings on the ends of mine and that fixed it.

You are a life saver, my problem was that the hub was causing it to be unstable, the o-rings fixed the problem!

Back