DIY portable GFCI outlet/switch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpartyParty

Reaction score
I have not seen this done but I can't imagine someone has not tried this.

My goal is to have a portable GFCI outlet(s) with a switch and 10' cord. My hope is I can go any place, either basement brewery or patio, and plug in the portable GFCI and not kill myself.

The switch will be for a chugger pump and another for a 120V 1500 watt heat stick. This way I can be mobile and be GFCI safe and have switch for the pump and heat stick rather than plug and unplug all brewday.

The plan: Using a 5x7 project box and an extension cord mount two of these http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001H1HI8S/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 to the top of the box. I'm sure it will all work but I have a grounding question. Will mounting a screw or even small plate inside the box be the correct way to ground OR is there any truth that the 10' cord coming from the box with the ground wire to the powered outlet be the ground?

Thanks
Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not seen this done but I can't imagine someone has not tried this.

My goal is to have a portable GFCI outlet(s) with a switch and 10' cord. My hoe is I can go any place, either basement brewery or patio, and plug in the portable GFCI and not kill myself.

The switch will be for a chugger pump and another for a 120V 1500 watt heat stick. This way I can be mobile and be GFCI safe and have switch for the pump and heat stick rather than plug and unplug all brewday.

The plan: Using a 5x7 project box and an extension cord mount two of these http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001H1HI8S/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 to the top of the box. I'm sure it will all work but I have a grounding question. Will mounting a screw or even small plate inside the box be the correct way to ground OR is their any truth that the 10' cord coming from the box with the ground wire to the powered outlet be the ground?

Thanks
Steve

I have one of these with two outlets, each with it's own "light-switch". I treat them like extension cords. They have 3 prongs, I connected the ground of the outlet to the ground wire on the cords. The outlets they plug into are grounded. When you use an extension cord you don't ground it anywhere special, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
That makes perfect sense to me that's why I was asking rather that have to ground them to the box or screw. I' real excited to get it made and use it. Sure beats paying $17 for a portable GFCI outlet and then still not having a switch. Thanks for the feedback.

How about: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/shockbuster-gfci-outlet-adapter.html

Instantly, any outlet is a GFIC outlet. Plug that into the wall, plug whatever you want into that, bam - you're in business. Not sure what it's rated to amp wise, 15 maybe?

What I did on my old system - extension cord with this on the male end (you want to GFIC to protect the whole extension cord too) and then I ran it into a small single gang weatherproof box with a weatherproof switch. Plug it in, flip the switch, pump goes on / off. You could use a double gang box with 2 switches, one for element, one for pump.

As for grounding - you want to ground the box as well. Just run a short jumper from the screw terminal in the back of the box to your ground lines - easy day.

I've seen the portable GFCI outlets but being $16 each plus i still need to buy an extension cord and build the switch box. Why have three separate components if I can build them all into one box and have a dual outlet, dual switch?

Latest posts

Back