DIY Orange Bitters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 198378

Reaction score
While drinking an Old Fashioned, have you ever thought "damn, I could make my own bitters"? I have for a long time.

Historically, bitters revolutionized cocktail culture by introducing a spicy depth to any drink. We're interested in infusing flavors together to accent the spirits we combine them with.

So, here we go.

I looked up several recipes and the one that stuck was this one:

Combine ingredients in 2 qt glass container and let sit for 2 weeks (shake container every other day)

1 (750 mL) bottle of Everclear 151
1/2# orange peel pieces
1 teaspoon fennel seed
1/2 teaspoon coriander
4 cardamom pods
20 drops of Gentian root extract

The hardest ingredient to find here is the gentian root extract. I ended up ordering a 2 oz bottle online, only later to find that the Sprouts in my neighborhood sold it. Gentian root is a natural digestive and helps with digestion among a whole slew of other things.

I ended up augmenting the ingredients above in this way. Since I didn't have a 2 quart glass container to let this sit in I used 2 (26 oz) pasta sauce glass jars from Trader Joes. Don't worry about sanitation the 151 alcohol will kill anything alive.

In addition to the above, I also included in one jar 1 tablespoon of Caraway seeds (because I love caraway) and in the other jar, 1 tablespoon of Anise seeds.

Though not completely different recipes, I'm interested in noticing the subtle differences of the two (if any).

I'll post end result in 2 weeks.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1412658690.914092.jpg

Thanks Byrd I'm planning to do a Grapefruit based biter next. Has a different base alcohol.

I forgot to mention that since I split into 2 containers you should split the above amounts. Easy enough though. Let me know how it goes!

Nice post

I just made up some grapefruit bitters, turned out alright I suppose.

Bring on the bitters recipes

Here's the finished product. The Anise seed version (right) is visibly darker than his Caraway seed brethren (left). I also saved all the orange peels used in the process for future Old Fashions.

I plan to purchase some small tincture/dropper brown glass containers (1 oz) to keep these in. I will hand out to family and friends as gifts.

1414362230458.jpg

I actually made something similar to this a few months ago, except it turned out lower alcohol content and less bitter than the typical bitters used in Manhattans. I've been trying it out in lots of different cocktails in varying amounts.

I actually made something similar to this a few months ago, except it turned out lower alcohol content and less bitter than the typical bitters used in Manhattans. I've been trying it out in lots of different cocktails in varying amounts.

Did you dilute? I don't see how alcohol content could lower unless u diluted the solution.

But I did notice a distinct difference between my version and commercial Angostura bitters: not as dark and concentrated. Maybe they add more cardamom pods...

Did you dilute? I don't see how alcohol content could lower unless u diluted the solution.

But I did notice a distinct difference between my version and commercial Angostura bitters: not as dark and concentrated. Maybe they add more cardamom pods...

I guess my unwise use of the phrase "turned out" made it sound like the alcohol content "lowered." I meant that my bitters have a lower ABV than the usual ABV in bitters. Most of the bitters I've bought are usually around 45% or 50% alcohol, but the ones I made are at 40%.

Mine also are not as dark and concentrated as Angostura. Mine are more like a very very dark orange, while Angostura is basically black with a slight reddish-orange tint to it.

I guess my unwise use of the phrase "turned out" made it sound like the alcohol content "lowered." I meant that my bitters have a lower ABV than the usual ABV in bitters. Most of the bitters I've bought are usually around 45% or 50% alcohol, but the ones I made are at 40%.

Mine also are not as dark and concentrated as Angostura. Mine are more like a very very dark orange, while Angostura is basically black with a slight reddish-orange tint to it.

Gotcha ;)

Latest posts

Back