DIY mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosvineer

Reaction score
I've watched a few videos on making a mash tun out of a cooler. One thing that confused me is using SS connectors when you're using copper tubing in the mash tun. Why does it matter if you use SS for your ball valve etc if your tubing is copper?

I've watched a few videos on making a mash tun out of a cooler. One thing that confused me is using SS connectors when you're using copper tubing in the mash tun. Why does it matter if you use SS for your ball valve etc if your tubing is copper?

I have as many brass valves as SS valves. Use what you can get/afford and upgrade later if you wish.

From a metallurgy standpoint, the reactivity between different metals is the concern.

When two different metals come into contact with each other in the presence of acidic materials (such as wort) there can be a chemical reaction between the metals.

If you have a copy of Palmer How to Brew, check out his discussion of this topic.

brewkinger said:
From a metallurgy standpoint, the reactivity between different metals is the concern.

When two different metals come into contact with each other in the presence of acidic materials (such as wort) there can be a chemical reaction between the metals.

If you have a copy of Palmer How to Brew, check out his discussion of this topic.

I skimmed the online version and was unable to quickly find the discussion. Can you tell me what section or page I can find it? I definitely don't want to create off flavors due to a poorly built mash tun

Use brass and food grade stainless(316) for my mash tun. Scrub your parts with dish soap and boil them for 30 mins, repeat once more. You remove any oils in the metal and build up an oxide layer,almost like the wort doesn't even touch the metal, I wouldn't worry about any of these metals affecting your batches in any way.

I skimmed the online version and was unable to quickly find the discussion. Can you tell me what section or page I can find it? I definitely don't want to create off flavors due to a poorly built mash tun

It might not be in the free online version, I will check the edition that I have at home and get back to you with page numbers.
I agree with subsequent posts though, there is really no need to worry if you are using either SS or brass.
The concern is when there are metal combinations such as aluminum and copper in the setup.

I can tell you this - if you don't use stainless hose clamps (assuming you do a braid, not a manifold or some other solution), they will rust. Don't ask how I know this.

Buy the book! It's worth all 20 dollars!

Latest posts

Back