DIY Hop Flower Boutonnieres?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewpood

Reaction score
My fiancee has stemless dried hops ready to make boutonnieres. Now, how is it done? Any videos or even written instructions that you know of?

I can also supply hop cones if the dried ones bite the dust. In that case, do I need to dry them or otherwise prep them?

Thanks much!

I don't know, but I think I'd be concerned about getting lupulin all over my nice clothes.

Hops_4_T.JPG

If that's not a problem, you can probably just tie them up with floral wire

Whatever you find out, please share. I'm getting hitched in April and the thought of having hop boutonnières sounds awesome!

Why don't you spray them with gloss or flat polyurethane. That will keep them green and make them pop and it will adhere all the lupulin too so it won't get on you.

Well, no, that's not going to happen. The fresh blossoms seem to be fine, without luplulin hazard, unless she cuts them in half, which she won't do.

We did this for my wedding just a few months ago!

The hops weren't fully "ready" for beer use at the end of June, so they were somewhat less fragile. I picked them the day of, choosing flowers with the longest possible stems. Carefully, with string, we bound them tightly to the lavender which was used in the center.

Here is a picture of one of the testers we made, I don't have pictures of the end product on this computer, unfortunately.

Edit: Lupulin was visible on the cones, but was not a problem with the clothing. We also brought some extra, as we did manage to break a few cones in the process. The assembly occurred just a few hours ahead of time... they dried out pretty quickly in the Kansas heat.

photo.JPG

Back