DIY Glass Rinser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yesfan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all. I thought I would try to "give back to the community" by showing you this DIY glass rinser I made. I've always liked the idea of having a glass rinser installed in the drip tray of my keezer, but didn't really want to pay the price that some of them go for (or have a way to plumb a water line to a rinser). I still have yet to install mine into my keezer, but thought I would share just the basics of what I done.

First what I bought were the items pictured.

DIY%20GR%2001_zpsouehgscv.jpg

^^ Pictured above are a Vinator, some 1/2" ID diameter tubing, a 4.25" drain strainer, a pack of 1/2" conduit lock nuts, and a 1/2" x closer nipple riser. All these items I got at Home Depot, except for the Vinator and pint glass obviously. The 1/2" tubing I bought a 10ft roll as that was all they had. I'm sure I'll find other uses for it. I also didn't have to use all the items listed, so for now all you 'need' is the vinyl tubing and drain strainer.

I took some cutters and cut out the four inside square holes to make the center square bigger.This was still not big enough to slip the 1/2" nipple through, so I decided to forgo using it and the conduit nuts. The tip of the Vinator will pass through it though which is what I was wanting. Also, the 4 nibs that were left from making the center of the drain bigger are big enough for me to pushing the tubing in and strong enough to bite and hold on to the tubing, as you see in this picture below.

DIY%20GR%2002_zpsktmnz5zw.jpg

Next I cut the tubing where it would bottom out on the top half of the spray head as indicated by the red arrow.

DIY%20GR%2004_zpsbp4ftgoa.jpg

Two other views of the rinser assembly

DIY%20GR%2008_zpshkycyhxo.jpg

DIY%20GR%2003_zpsii91clrq.jpg

It's tight on the spray head, but you don't have to use a lot of force if you twist it on/off. The Vinator can put out a pretty good stream too, so don't think it's not up to par for some taller glasses. Here's a (somewhat blurry) show of how high the stream can go.

DIY%20GR%2006_zpsi3ubrapb.jpg

And a shot of it in action.

DIY%20GR%2007_zpsjklj1xkx.jpg

All the items I bought, even what I haven't used, was a little over $17. Since I only used the tubing and strainer, the cost is probably closer to $10-$11.

Won't you be rinsing with dirty water after the first time you use it?

Uhm....yeah, I guess. That part I'm still working on. :embarrassed:

After the first time I tried it (and after I posted this thread), I came to realize that. I guess since there wasn't a lot of time spent making it, it could be good for "first time glasses" or just post rinsing with cold water after the initial cleaning/rinsing.

Not bad, my kegerator is also in a space with no running water, and it's nice to have a clean glass when switching beers. The clean water thing is a tough one though.

You could use a keg of filtered water pushed with nitrogen or argon. I would choose n2 since it is so much cheaper. That way you get fresh water with every rinse and don't need plumbing to the area.

I really like this idea and think I shall build something for next to my glasses cabinet. This would be useful for me when doing tastings at the house. Rinse the glass in tap water, use a system like this to spray in a sanitizer solution, let dry till the next brew is ready to taste.
Maybe it could be rigged up with a pressurised hand sprayer feeding sanitizer through a hose to a full shower drain. Then PVC pipe down from the drain into a bucket to collect the used sanitizer.

You got me definitely wanting to build something.

I was thinking about going down a similar path and building one last summer for my wedding. At the time all I could find was units that cost $250 plus and couldn't justify that. I was thinking about using a jet bottle washer with a similar grate to do it. In the end about a month before the wedding I started seeing them for like $90 and pulled the trigger because I figured by the time it was all said and done I would be over half of that cost anyway and it probably would work/look as good. I built a little stand for it and filled a keg with water at like 30psi for the event. The drain went to a bucket. Worked fantastic for the party. I don't really use it much right now as I don't have a place to put it easily and just use my sink in the brewery to rinse, but when I have a new house with a bar area it is for sure going in permanently. I think I got mine from beverage factory.

Back