[DIY] Adding a Hookup for a Wort Chiller Under the Sink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grfrazee

Reaction score
After moving into the new house, I've been boiling wort at the stove instead of outside. I then have to make the treacherous journey down a couple stairs and ~30 feet away from the stove to the back patio, all while carrying 50 lbs of boiling-hot wort. This is of course a bad idea, so I thought I might make an improvement to my kitchen sink to save myself from potential catastrophe.

To do so, I removed the existing cold water supply for my sink faucet and split it two ways - one for the faucet, and another for the wort chiller hookup. Both have shutoff valves, and the wort chiller line uses an 8-ft washer hose to supply water. I made a video documenting the process for those interested. Materials list is in the video description.

Total time was a couple hours, and that included futzing around with the camera to film it. Cost was maybe $30 in materials. You'll need to know how to solder (if you have copper pipe) or how to join iron pipe/PVC/PEX if you have a different water system. PVC or PEX will probably go a lot faster since those piping systems are easier to join. You might be able to use less fittings than I did, depending on how your plumbing is set up.

Excellent idea! Sometimes I cool wort down using the water line in the laundry room that goes to the washer. There is a sink in there as well and I'll give this a go. Seems pretty straight forward.
Thanks!

Back