dividing bulk hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malted_hops

Reaction score
How do you divide up your bulk hops for longterm storage?

I am starting with several different one pound bags. I am thinking of vacuum sealing most of them in 2 oz packs, with a couple in 1 oz packs. It should only take a few batches to have a good collection of leftovers to use for that last 0.5 oz flame out addition instead of opening a new 2oz. But if i have to that's what the 1oz is for.

I only have access to the vacuum sealer the one time so saving bigger bags and resealing those is not an option.

I guess that putting everything in 1 oz packs would be the best way, but that would be a P.I.T.A. to make that many bags. Plus waste a lot of materials.

Fish or cut bait? ...

I don't break up pounds in advance, I think that'd somehow be detrimental via increased oxygen exposure. When I break open a new pound the whole package goes into a vac seal bag cut longish so it can be trimmed and resealed often...

Cheers!

I don't break mine up either. I just keep everything in the original 1 lb. bag, then make a larger foodsaver bags and put those in there and reseal ASAP after opening. I just make the foodsaver bags large enough to be able to seal them multiple times.

I guess a case could be made for multiple oxygen exposure, but I open and reseal them so quickly, I'd be hard pressed to believe that the exposure over the life of the pound is any more the way I do it than spending all that initial time, with them exposed to light and air as I am measuring out 1 oz. sealing, measuring out another ounce, sealing etc.

Before I weight out hops, I just make sure my sealer is set up and ready to go, so I'm not wasting any time leaving them open.

I broke down a pound of Hallertau recently. Didn't weigh, just vac packed it into smaller foodsaver bags of varying sizes. Maybe 6 bags total? Then all back into the original foil pack and to the freezer...

+1 I also like to keep them together. It's also easier to keep track I tried separating and major hassle as the variety hops increase sorting through and labeling keeping them organized.

Keeps them better organized, less labeling needed, and keeps the light off of them better. Win win win.

leave them in the hop union bag until needed - no point breaking the seal on the bag any sooner than necessary. Once I open a pound bag, I dump the whole thing in a quart mason jar and vacuum seal it with food saver lid sealer. I keep all my hops in glass jars in the freezer.

How do you divide up your bulk hops for longterm storage?

I am starting with several different one pound bags. I am thinking of vacuum sealing most of them in 2 oz packs, with a couple in 1 oz packs. It should only take a few batches to have a good collection of leftovers to use for that last 0.5 oz flame out addition instead of opening a new 2oz. But if i have to that's what the 1oz is for.

I only have access to the vacuum sealer the one time so saving bigger bags and resealing those is not an option.
I guess that putting everything in 1 oz packs would be the best way, but that would be a P.I.T.A. to make that many bags. Plus waste a lot of materials.

Fish or cut bait? ...

1 oz. for bittering, 2 oz. for the rest?

Sorry.... did not see the "one time with the sealer" part...... yeah - 1oz. bittering, 2 oz. for the others is probably a good call.

And then put "vacuum sealer" on your x-mas list:)

Latest posts

Back