Dishwasher Ruins Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highgravitybacon

Reaction score
Sometimes my wife washes the beer glassware in the dishwasher. But when she does, all my beer takes on a bandaid/rubber stretch. I first thought it was a faulty ferment. Maybe wild yeast. Then I poured a well regarded craft beer and noticed it too. Seemed just implausible, but I thought it wasnt impossible . After noticing it with several commercial beers, I figured it has to be something with the dishwasher soap. We use Finish brand dissolving tablets. Whatever residue is left makes beer suck.

Just be aware of this. Rinsing with tap water kills the taste.

Sometimes my wife washes the beer glassware in the dishwasher. But when she does, all my beer takes on a bandaid/rubber stretch. I first thought it was a faulty ferment. Maybe wild yeast. Then I poured a well regarded craft beer and noticed it too. Seemed just implausible, but I thought it wasnt impossible . After noticing it with several commercial beers, I figured it has to be something with the dishwasher soap. We use Finish brand dissolving tablets. Whatever residue is left makes beer suck.

Just be aware of this. Rinsing with tap water kills the taste.

We also use those tabs. I always handwash my glasses. I notice a funky taste and loss in head as well when they get put in there.

I use the dishwasher for my barware. We use Cascade as well as Jet Dry. I've noticed no ill effects, and I've even compared the same beer in a glass given the "salt scrub" treatment vs one fresh from the dishwasher. To be fair, all three locations where I've lived and could be accused of beer glass "malpractice" have had extremely hard, calcium rich water, which I _think_ lessens the ill effects of detergents and rinse agents.

What happens is that there’s a precipitate formed by a reaction of the detergent with the fat from dirty dishes. You can get that off by scrubbing with baking soda. It might take a few washings to get them really clean.

I handwash the glassware with PBW.

I use both as well with no problems. I just remember someone saying something about jet dry. Could be something in the hot water tank. Maybe raise a beer glass in hot water and see if the taste is still there.

Latest posts

Back