Disconnecting c02 off a full keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd410

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I kegged a beer the other day. Burped and purged it and then I set it to 12 psi and did the "set it and forget it". But unfortunately my keezer broke down. The freezer compressor went. So I'm going to make a new one. My question is, can I disconnect the co2 from the keg as I get rid of my old keezer? Will this affect the beer? I hope this makes sense. Thanks!

How long do you think it takes you to build a new keezer and have it ready for kegs?

The keg will be fine for a few weeks outside the keezer in a cool area, possibly months. Your beer will condition a bit more, and hoppy beers may lose some of their hoppiness with time.

You could put 30-40 psi on it, disconnect, check for any leaks, and let it sit. That will speed up getting it carbonated, and keeping it sealed.

Yup. A tight keg = big bottle. And the contents therein are subject to all the same forces trying to degrade it, so try not to subject it to temperature extremes while you're recovering from keezer death (my condolences, btw).

If it isn't fully carb'd up and you have a cellar or similar cool-ish spot to park it, you could use "chart pressure" on it for the duration...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back