Discolored keg innards

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinP

Reaction score
I have had this keg sitting around for 10+ years.
Now that I am brewing I cut the top off planning to use it as a boil kettle.
3 jigsaw blades later (I think its aluminum because it wasn't very hard to saw through) I have a keggle. I scrubbed the 10 year old Newcastle stains as best I can with scotch brite pads and am left with a yellowish color inside.
A) Is this normal? (I don't think so)
and
B) What do you suggest I use to clean this out better?

IMAG0060.jpg

It is most definitely aluminum. Running a deburring tool around the opening scraped off soft little curly metal flakes. I think this would not happen with stainless.

I tried Barkeepers friend. Too much effort to get through to bare aluminum. I spent 10 minutes and only managed to get a bare patch as big as the scotch brite pad.

I no longer think the color is just from being dirty. If it was just dirty I would expect the bottom to be dirtier and it's not. It seems more like an even coating of some sort.

The keg is stamped as "Manufactured by Grundy (Teddinton)"

Anyone ever hear of coatings inside of kegs?

Anyway, turns out the keg is only 13 gallons. I dont think this is big enough for 90 minute 10 gallon boils. Probably going to sell it to a scrap yard and apply the $ to a proper keg or maybe kettle.

Wet sand it with 400gr then 600 ,1000 grit. it works great and leaves a smooth finnish.

If it's aluminum, then the inside likely IS coated, isn't it? I know that aluminum cans are coated on the inside, to prevent the beer from reacting with the aluminum... cans would apparantly have leaks inside of a week without this coating. Stands to reason an aluminum keg would have the same coating.

A second look at the collar on that keg and it is different from the SS kegs I've seen. Recycle it for sure.

definitely bar keepers friend, I just cleaned my keggle last week with BKF and did it look nice, did not take much elbow grease either, used a green scotch brite pad.

How would you seal it though? He has already cut the top out of it....
Just need a piece of thick plexiglass silicone tubing to make a seal and a couple of clamps and an airlock

with the top cut off, and it being aluminum, and discolored, I'd scrap it.

I believe it has a coating on it to stop the beer with its low PH from etching the aluminum. Just like the aluminum cans and bottles that beer comes in.

Back