Disappointing robust porter recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew2Be

Reaction score
Hi HBT. About a month ago I made a robust porter (with some hints I got from HBT). I have just tasted it. It is thin and has a bit of an acrid feel along with a taste of something I can't really define (maybe too much black malt?). Would anyone be kind to point out what in my recipe could cause this? My recipe is as follows:

Batch stats:

6 liters
IBU: 40
O.G: 1.055
F.G: 1.014
IBU/O.G: 0.73
SRM: 38

Malt:

Pale Malt 1.2 kg 82% Mash 2 °L
Crystal 65 0.11 kg 7% Steep 65 °L
Chocolate Malt 0.11 kg 7% Steep 475 °L
Black Malt 0.03 kg 2% Steep 660 °L

Hops:

Goldings, East Kent (UK) 10.0 g 60 min Boil Pellet 5.0%
Goldings, East Kent (UK) 8.0 g 30 min Boil Pellet 5.0%

Yeast:

Safale S-04

I mashed at 68 C for 60 minutes and did a 60 minute boil.
I topped up volume to 6 litres when the wort was transferred to the fermenter.

The beer was left in primary for two weeks and bottle conditioned for another two.

Thank you in advance.

The recipe doesn't look bad to me, what does your water profile look like?

My initial thought is that all of the dark/crystal malt brought your mash pH down too low.

The recipe doesn't look bad to me, what does your water profile look like?

My initial thought is that all of the dark/crystal malt brought your mash pH down too low.

Thanks for your reply.

I am not sure about my water profile. I've been looking around on the internet and I can't find a report for my area (I live in Europe), so I am unsure how to get the data I need adjust my water profile. Could this, in your opinion, be the issue?

Let it age longer then try it again.
Sometimes a few extra weeks does wonders for a brew.

Let it age longer then try it again.
Sometimes a few extra weeks does wonders for a brew.

I was thinking about pouring it, but I think I will let it age for a few weeks and see how it tastes. Thanks

Thanks for your reply.

I am not sure about my water profile. I've been looking around on the internet and I can't find a report for my area (I live in Europe), so I am unsure how to get the data I need adjust my water profile. Could this, in your opinion, be the issue?

If it tastes like plastic or vinyl hosing, it could be chlorine in the water. In my experience, that flavor tends to come through more in darker beers. Do you treat your water at all (carbon filtered, campden tablet, etc.?)

If you are good there, does it have a thin mouthfeel and/or taste a bit on the tarter side? If so, I would look at your water profile and mash pH (I would find that info out anyways and calculate what it was for this batch). In the states there are testing facilities that will test your water for you if you send them a sample of it, maybe there is a place like that near you.

Sit on it a bit though and see how it turns out.

If it tastes like plastic or vinyl hosing, it could be chlorine in the water. In my experience, that flavor tends to come through more in darker beers. Do you treat your water at all (carbon filtered, campden tablet, etc.?)

If you are good there, does it have a thin mouthfeel and/or taste a bit on the tarter side? If so, I would look at your water profile and mash pH (I would find that info out anyways and calculate what it was for this batch). In the states there are testing facilities that will test your water for you if you send them a sample of it, maybe there is a place like that near you.

Sit on it a bit though and see how it turns out.

Where I live, the water is quite pure (only ground water is used). Chlorine is not added to our water supply. So no need for filters etc.

- I will have to look into it. Does mash pH also have as great an effect on other beer styles (i.e american amber ale, ESB)? If so that would mean I can not really brew any good beer without adjusting my water profile, right?

- It both has a thin mouthfeel (should I add oats next time?) and tastes a bit tart

Thanks again!

Water quality, and mash temperature have a lot to do with the finished beer. For brews like a Robust Porter, a "thick" malty flavor an high ABV are expected. Are you sure your thermometer is correct? Percentage wise, your recipe should be good.

Your recipe, gravities, and all other reported factors look fine. To be honest, I hate the S-04 yeast as I always get a thinish body and bizarre, tart taste from it. Others like it, so I always chalked it up to my taste buds. Maybe yours are like mine.

Give it more time. Porters with a good percentage of roasted malts (which yours is, more or less) always take months to come around for me. When they do, they're awful good, though. Forget about it for a month. Try it again come March and see how it's doing.

Your recipe, gravities, and all other reported factors look fine. To be honest, I hate the S-04 yeast as I always get a thinish body and bizarre, tart taste from it. Others like it, so I always chalked it up to my taste buds. Maybe yours are like mine.

Give it more time. Porters with a good percentage of roasted malts (which yours is, more or less) always take months to come around for me. When they do, they're awful good, though. Forget about it for a month. Try it again come March and see how it's doing.

S-04 was my thought too. If I had to use a dry yeast, I'd use US-05 even if it wasn't "too style" as it at least makes a good tasting beer. Also make sure you aren't overpitching as the entire 11g pack is probably too much for only 6litres.

I've never gotten anything like that from S04. I've always found it to be great in darker beers for just a touch of English character.

Try adding the roasted grains after mashing, prior to sparge. I've had great success with this method, resulting in less acrid taste and improved flavor. Also, I grind my roasted grains finer for deeper roast flavor. This method also keeps the pH from dropping too much (if pH is an issue for you).

Back