Disappointing apple mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kees

Reaction score
Couple of weeks ago I pulled the trigger on this one, made by Grifo:

Lagerverkauf: Handbetriebene Obstmühle OM10 mit Edelstahltrichter, Leistung 200 kg/Std. günstig kaufen - Lagerverkauf Fischer Kellereitechnik Lahr/Baden, 274,00 €

Peformance very disappointing. After a while bits and pieces of apple get stuck between the blades and rollers. You have to push them south with a stick. More than a couple of kilo''s of apples per hour is impossible to achieve. Far cry from 200 kg/hr that is advertised.

In an earlier post I mentioned that I had I bought something similar, for under a couple of hundred bucks it seemed like a good deal. Bong!!!.... same problem as you, since it produced large chunks of apple that were hard to press. I think this type of mill is more suited to soft fruit like grapes. Are you using whole apples or quartered?

Anyhow, my solution was to build a simplified hand cranked version of Claude Jolicoeur's scratter (Chapter 6, "The New Cidermaker's Handbook"). It could be motorised but hand cranking works for me for my volumes. I get about 60% yield after pressing (i.e. 600ml of juice per Kg of fruit) from quartered apples. I quarter the apples mainly to check for and cut out coddling moth damage, but it also helps with the throughput.

FYI, attached is some info on my version but you will find lots of other information on YouTube if you want to go down the DIY path. I am sure that others will have experience with different types of commercial scratters that you might consider.

Attachments

• Apple Cider Rig.pdf
    381.6 KB · Views: 13
I made an apple grinder from a garbage disposal. I went with one that had stainless steel blades. l am thinking Waste King brand, about $60.00. It accepted the apples as fast as I could push them into the mouth of the unit. had to cut the apples into quarters.

Cleaning the grinder is easy. Turn on the grinder, flush with garden hose, when it run clear, you are done.

The output was pretty much apple sauce. Worked perfectly in my nylon bags in my press.

The bottom of the mill looks like a standard grape crusher that I have and the mill in the photo has an added feature that appears to slice up the fruit before it goes to the rollers.
Here's a few things to try:
-"sweat" the apples for a month or more after harvesting by storing them in a cool place away from critters like mice. Inspect them every 3-4 days and get rid of any apples going bad. Storing them in 1/2 bushel boxes helps the inspection process. Sweating the apples will soften them up and make them easier for your fruit crusher to handle and will also improve the flavor of your cider.
-try adjusting the space between the bottom rollers, maybe they are too close?
-Cut the larger apples in half or quarters by hand before putting in the crusher.

Latest posts

Back