direct fire mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arborman

Reaction score
So, I have the top tier system, but currently mash in a cooler. I am upgrading to 10 gallon batches, and will need a larger boil kettle/tun. So, I am considering using my current 15 gallon kettle as my mash tun in place of my cooler, and getting a new 20 gallon kettle for my brew pot.

What are the things I need to know about a direct fire mash? Do you just turn the flame on and off to keep the temp where needed? Seems like it would be hotter on the bottom of the kettle, right over the flame, making the mash have hot spots...

Are there any other benefits to a direct fired mash over just using a cooler?

Thanks

From what I understand, just started researching it. Direct fired mash requires a pump for recirculation. Pulling the heated wort from the bottom and putting back on top of the mash tun.

Sorry if this is obvious and you already knew it. But yeah, other than recirculation, you have described a direct fire mash.

Also, it seems a lot of people automate the firing during these types of set ups, so that you have a controller or computer keeping an eye on the mash temp, so you don't have to baby sit it. It seems it would be a ton of work keeping a direct fire mash at a constant temperature without some kind of automation.

Blichmann tower of power is set up to turn your burner on/off based on temp readings from a probe in the circulation line. At $570 ish for just the control module it is a considerable purchase, though.

You can fire and monitor temps yourself and just stir unless you feel that the TOP system, or building a comparable system, is worth it. I'd go TOP if I could, just the price point isn't in the budget. Hoping it goes on sale for the holidays...

Blichmann tower of power is set up to turn your burner on/off based on temp readings from a probe in the circulation line. At $570 ish for just the control module it is a considerable purchase, though.

You can fire and monitor temps yourself and just stir unless you feel that the TOP system, or building a comparable system, is worth it. I'd go TOP if I could, just the price point isn't in the budget. Hoping it goes on sale for the holidays...

Cool, thanks for the input...

So, if I do go tower of power, would that need to recirculate as well? I am guessing yes, based on what you guys have mentioned. So, I would need tower of power, mash controller, 20 gallon pot and a new false bottom. Sounds pricey but nice! I already own one pump which I use for transferring to my HLT, but the tower comes with a second pump... Would this pump be used just for mash recirc?

I was planning on getting a heated/cooled fermentor, but maybe I should focus on getting the brew system set up to a perfect 10 gallon system and then work on my heated/cooled conical.. Man, tough decisions!

Cool, thanks for the input...

So, if I do go tower of power, would that need to recirculate as well? I am guessing yes, based on what you guys have mentioned. So, I would need tower of power, mash controller, 20 gallon pot and a new false bottom. Sounds pricey but nice! I already own one pump which I use for transferring to my HLT, but the tower comes with a second pump... Would this pump be used just for mash recirc?

I was planning on getting a heated/cooled fermentor, but maybe I should focus on getting the brew system set up to a perfect 10 gallon system and then work on my heated/cooled conical.. Man, tough decisions!

You will want to recirculate during the mash, Blichmann says to start 10 mins after dough in. If you visit their website there is a pretty helpful video. Depending on your needs you may choose to just get the controller or the tower itself which has some nice features. The controller comes with a temp probe, burner igniter and an automated valve to turn gas on or off. You probably want to put the temp probe in a T fitting installed at the outlet of the pump.

I believe you can buy the tower without the pump, or buy just the controller with its accessories. Depending on your needs you may need a second one.

As for fermenting, I just do carboys in a chest freezer which has an stc1000 controlling the temps. Nothing too elaborate there, freezer was cheap on craigslist. Hope that helps...

Latest posts

Back