Different types of aging question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJ-Bill

Reaction score
I'd like to know what the benifits/drawbacks are to aging in different stages.

I know the answer is probably "depends on the beer".

But for us newer fellas what are the advantages to aging in the secondary vs. the Keg?

some guys don't even go 2ndary and leave long term in the primary. whats he difference between aging in the carboy or aging in a keg if your not carbing right away?

Does the beer age differently if it's left carbed for a longer period?

Why leave it in the 2nd for 2 months then kegs it for 1-2 weeks or vice-versa 2weeks in the 2nd and 2 months in the keg?

and what about temperature in each? is it better to keep the 2nd always at the fermenting temp or drop it after fermenting is done? or does it matter?

So many questions.. so dizzy.. where's my beer:tank:

TJ-bill,
Typically, racking from primary to secondary serves two purposes. First, it is a way to move the beer off of the yeast and trub and allow the beer to clarify. Secondly, when adding additional sugars (fruit, sugar, honey, etc) you rack the beer onto the new adjunct and a second fermentation takes place. In each case the attenuation that you desire should be accomplished in the primary fermenter. I personally rack from my fermenter directly to kegs when fermentation is complete, skipping the secondary. I used to rack to secondary but since I stopped I haven't noticed a difference in the clarity or flavor. I don't think lagering (aging) has to be done in a carboy. The aging of 'lagers' can be done in the bottle or keg and appropriate temperature controls can be applied in either case.
mark
Beer Diary...

Back