Difference in Poppet Valves?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewenc

Reaction score
I have a Challenger VI keg that has a leaky gas valve. I have been pricing poppets on all the normal sites. My question is: Is there a difference in the Gas Poppet Valve and the Liquid Poppet Valve? I know there is a definite diference in the Posts but cant seem to find a different poppet valve for each. I would like to buy new poppets for all my kegs but before I order and dont get it right I thought I would ask. Thanks for the help. :mug:

Poppets are the same for each keg. Some keg poppets are different, but no difference between gas & beer.

Thanks Edwort! My question arose because of a review on the poppets on the Northern Brewer site.

I'd buy these "corny keg universal poppet" if they fit your kegs.

This.

I think NB or Midwest carries them. Do a search. The original poppets are crap. There are ~20 different shapes/sizes, and what is in your kegs currently is no guarantee that is what it came with new. Most OEM poppets have fragile plasticy bits, and the gaskets are not, or are no longer, replaceable.

The new "universal" poppets fit nearly all posts, and use replaceable O-rings that are readily available.

Thanks all. I appreciate the good info. I'll check you out Chic. Anyone else using these universals?

Here's what they look like. Keg Connection has the best price I could find at $2.95 each. Not bad!

I like the replaceable O-Ring concept on this.

UNIVERSALpoppet.jpg

http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=547

Anyone else using these universals?
If 3 out of the 4 non-vendor replies recommending them isn't enough to get you to at least try them, do a search. There are many threads about the universal poppets, and poppet issues in general.

Everyone will not read or respond to every thread, especially when the subject has been rehashed many, many times as the poppet issue has. You are lucky you escaped the wrath of the "Try using the search function before posting" crowd.

Back