Difference between certificates and ribbons at National Homebrew Competition...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm reading through the awards guidelines for the NHC and I'm kinda confused. Hoping someone can clear this up for me. The bold/underlined sections below are the cause for my confusion....

First Round Certificates - a certificate does not signify an entry placed in a NHC Table and advances to the Final Round. It is a recognition of an entry’s quality. Only entries awarded ribbons of 1st, 2nd, or 3rd in a NHC Table will advance to the Final Round.

• Gold Certificate – Earned by entries scoring 38-50 points in the First Round.
  • Silver Certificate – Earned by entries scoring 30-37 points in the First Round.
  • Bronze Certificate – Earned by entries scoring 25-29 points in the First Round.
First Round Ribbons Ribbons – 1 st, 2nd and 3rd place in the First Round with a score of 30 points or greater are awarded ribbons for their achievement, and advance to the Final Round of the National Homebrew Competition.

So a CERTIFICATE does NOT mean you move to the final round, but yet you get a gold certificate at 38 pts.

A ribbon means you move to the final round, but you only need 30 pts for a ribbon.

This doesn't make much sense to me. This would tell me that if you got a gold or silver certificate, you're automatically going to final round.

What am I missing here?

So I'm reading through the awards guidelines for the NHC and I'm kinda confused. Hoping someone can clear this up for me. The bold/underlined sections below are the cause for my confusion....

First Round Certificates - a certificate does not signify an entry placed in a NHC Table and advances to the Final Round. It is a recognition of an entry’s quality. Only entries awarded ribbons of 1st, 2nd, or 3rd in a NHC Table will advance to the Final Round.

• Gold Certificate – Earned by entries scoring 38-50 points in the First Round.
  • Silver Certificate – Earned by entries scoring 30-37 points in the First Round.
  • Bronze Certificate – Earned by entries scoring 25-29 points in the First Round.
First Round Ribbons Ribbons – 1 st, 2nd and 3rd place in the First Round with a score of 30 points or greater are awarded ribbons for their achievement, and advance to the Final Round of the National Homebrew Competition.

So a CERTIFICATE does NOT mean you move to the final round, but yet you get a gold certificate at 38 pts.

A ribbon means you move to the final round, but you only need 30 pts for a ribbon.

This doesn't make much sense to me. This would tell me that if you got a gold or silver certificate, you're automatically going to final round.

What am I missing here?

I'm not a formal BJCP/NHC rep by any means, but it sounds to me like in order to advance, you need to A) score 30 points or better, and B) get a ribbon. The former is necessary, but not sufficient for the latter. Basically, the ribbons go to the best 3 beers assuming they're all >30. The certificates seem to be based solely on the score. For example, there could hypothetically be a dozen 38+ point beers in a category that all get gold certificates because of their scores, but only the "best" 3 of those get ribbons and subsequently move to the second round.

Ok, that makes sense.

I also kept reading and found this:

The First Round of judging takes place over 13 judging centers in March/April. The top three entries in each NHC Table move on to the Final Round. An entry must receive a score of 30 points or more to be eligible to place in a NHC Table.

Makes sense now. Thanks.

The certificates are basically pointless. Just a good better best scale of how your beer scored within the range. It has no effect on actually placing in the category.

The certificates are basically pointless. Just a good better best scale of how your beer scored within the range. It has no effect on actually placing in the category.

Right. And I guess that's why I was confused. The rules/reg's talk about certificates just as you did - they're pointless (i.e. Certificate does not mean you moved on to final round). But yet to get a gold CERTIFICATE, you need 38 pts or more. To move on to final, you only need 30 points.

It just seemed very backwards to me but I understand it anyway.

Back