Difference between 2 weeks & 4 weeks fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gee Tee

Reaction score
What is the difference between recipies that need 4 weeks fermenting before bottling and those that only need 2? Is 4 week beer denser and more complex than 2 week beer?

What is the difference between recipies that need 4 weeks fermenting before bottling and those that only need 2? Is 4 week beer denser and more complex than 2 week beer?

Lots of things influence fermentation time; yeast strain, yeast pitch rate, yeast health, nutrients, wort oxygenation, fermentation temperature, wort gravity, etc.

The recipe writers you're asking about might be making assumptions about these things, and/or designing them into the recipe, or they may just be taking a wild guess. But the bottom line is that every fermentation is different. Go by what you see, taste, and measure, not a calendar.

Last edited:
Beer is done when it's done, and if properly brewed there's no benefit to leaving it in the fermenter longer than that.

And lots of new brewers with poor fermentation management may see sluggish fermentations producing lots of off flavors needing more time to condition when they're done attenuating. It's why you see on here so often to leave beer in the fermenter so long after it's done.

Apart from that, some beers just take longer than others. Lagers, some Belgian beers, some really big beers, might take 3 or 4 weeks to finish fermenting/conditioning. Some STA1+ yeasts inch down the last few gravity points and could take even longer than that. With wild beers (sour and Brett beers) weeks can potentially become years in the fermenter.

Most of my beers are out of the fermenter in 7-10 days. Lagering included, my lagers are seldom longer than 5 weeks.

Beer is done when it's done, and if properly brewed there's no benefit to leaving it in the fermenter longer than that.

And lots of new brewers with poor fermentation management may see sluggish fermentations producing lots of off flavors needing more time to condition when they're done attenuating. It's why you see on here so often to leave beer in the fermenter so long after it's done.

Apart from that, some beers just take longer than others. Lagers, some Belgian beers, some really big beers, might take 3 or 4 weeks to finish fermenting/conditioning. Some STA1+ yeasts inch down the last few gravity points and could take even longer than that. With wild beers (sour and Brett beers) weeks can potentially become years in the fermenter.

Most of my beers are out of the fermenter in 7-10 days. Lagering included, my lagers are seldom longer than 5 weeks.
Yes, I take your point. I've brewed about 3 batches of ales that were in the fermentor for 2 weeks before bottling and have a couple of 4 week fermentations (according to the recipe instructions) almost ready to be bottled. I'm about to order some spicy Christmas recipies which I like dense and complex and wondered whether 2 week ones would be too light or whether I should look for 4 week fermentations that might allow for more spicy and "mulled" notes.

Depends on the spice and how it's added. If you're adding to the kettle I wouldn't think it'd matter. If you're adding spices to the fermenter you'll have to go by taste. Fermenter adjuncts I usually see timelines in days, not weeks.

Longer fermentation will not help with body. The complexity of aging (call it micro-oxidation, unless something specifically desired just call it damage) won't show between 2 and 4 weeks (if oxidation shows that quickly it'd be of the dulling, stale, off variety).

The more important thing is to check your gravity readings to see when it is actually done fermenting. When you are using a kit a lot of the time they will give you a 2 week or 4 week fermentation time to try and make things easier for the brewer. However, beer is done when it is done. The yeast has to eat all the fermentable sugar. There are a ton of factors that determine how quickly that process will happen.

Depends on the spice and how it's added. If you're adding to the kettle I wouldn't think it'd matter. If you're adding spices to the fermenter you'll have to go by taste. Fermenter adjuncts I usually see timelines in days, not weeks.

Longer fermentation will not help with body. The complexity of aging (call it micro-oxidation, unless something specifically desired just call it damage) won't show between 2 and 4 weeks (if oxidation shows that quickly it'd be of the dulling, stale, off variety).
I see. It's probably safe to assume that the 4 week recipies are about the yeast and not about the body or complexity then? I'll order a 2 week kit in that case as I'm getting thirty!

Mulled spices go a long ways , as I've found out the hard way. On time in the fermenter , its brewers choice as long as its done . Very rarely will my beers be packaged before 3 weeks . Leaving in the fv after fermentation has completed helps clean up , which will limit sediment in your bottles .

Mulled spices go a long ways , as I've found out the hard way. On time in the fermenter , its brewers choice as long as its done . Very rarely will my beers be packaged before 3 weeks . Leaving in the fv after fermentation has completed helps clean up , which will limit sediment in your bottles .
I only put the bits and pieces in the kettle as I'm not skilled enough to go off-recipe yet. You've just given me a great tip about leaving the wort for an extra bit of time after completion (that's what FV is, right?) to cut down on bottle sediment. I have a bucket and lid which means it might not be as air-tight as a carboy, but I will start leaving it an extra week or so after the fermentation is done to allow the yeast to clean up before bottling it. I'm sure grateful for your input - it's very encouraging.

Back