Didn't think i would need a blowoff for Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christian

Reaction score
I made a batch of apfelwein and kept checking on it and everything seemed fine. On the 2nd morning i go into my brewing closet and the juice is gushing out of the airlock and down the sides of the carboy. There was even a little yeast cake in the bottom of the airlock. I pulled the airlock off and more gushed down the sides. I quickly cleaned and re-sanitized the airlock and everything has been fine since. I only filled the carboy up to the same level i see in the pics here.

Has anyone else had this happen?

What kind of yeast did you use? Ed says to use montrachet (sp?) and its only supposed to have a ring of bubbles. I use the pasteur red and got about 5inches of krausen still didnt get near the mouth of a 6.5 gal carboy.

i recently made a batch and used champaign yeast. was definitely active for a few days, but there was only a small layer of bubbles on top. in fact, just checked the gravity and sat down to read the forums while i drank the sample :)

What kind of yeast did you use? Ed says to use montrachet (sp?) and its only supposed to have a ring of bubbles. I use the pasteur red and got about 5inches of krausen still didnt get near the mouth of a 6.5 gal carboy.

I used the Red Star Montrachet, the one suggested by Ed and used by so many others. My Temp did fluctuate though and got a bit high the first few days until i adjusted the heat vent but the fermometer said 72 on the carboy.

my first batch overflowed using lavlin ec1118
now i just use 2 less cans of juice at the start and add them over the next two weeks when ferment slows.

Latest posts

Back