Did they change Fat Tire?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gr8shandini

Reaction score
I've been living in Maryland for a while and New Belgium just started distributing to my locale. Last time I had a Fat Tire, I remembered it as a fairly malty beer with just a touch of "Belgianness." However, the couple I had tonight were rather dry and tasted like any of a hundred generic amber ales. Granted, it was served too cold, but even at the end of a pint that I warmed with my hands as much as possible, there wasn't a lot of flavor there.

Has anyone else noticed a drop off in quality from NB over the last year or so, or am I just going crazy?

Last time I had a Fat Tire I was 16, in a bar, it had the most interesting tap handle, so that's what I ordered...they didn't card me, so I kept ordering. I don't really recall any Belgian qualities though, I think it tasted like a lager, but hell, I was 16, that's like 9 years ago!

Thanks guys. I never thought Fat Tire was all that great of a beer, but when the local bars mainly serve BMC + Yuengling, it was a welcome addition. Sadly, this particular bar got rid of Fordham Copperhead, which is a perfectly pleasant amber ale, to make room for the Fat Tire. It was a downgrade, in my opinion.

I once enjoyed it as well, now I think their use of a single strain of yeast for so long has degraded it.

that or i outgrew it as well. Love their hoptober though.

They had a sidewall blowout and had to replace it with the donut spare.

homer-simpson-drooling.jpg

Hmmmmmmm, donut spare . . .

Fat tire used to have flavor about 7 years ago and then it all went out the window along with their other beers. They are the hip new Sam Adams.

I remember just a few months ago buying a 6er of it and thinking it was a pretty nice brew, plenty biscuity and a hint of Belgian-nes. Had it on tap tonight and there was just about nothing there. Good to know I'm not the only one. I'm almost inclined enough to pick up some more bottles to compare to the disappointment I experienced tonight.

I was at the brewery 2 weeks ago, still very solid IMO, but check the dates on what you are drinking, sometimes that stuff sits around, also for taps, clean lines make a HUGE difference. Just my 2 cents, BTW, I had the trippel, abbey and ranger today in bottles, still top of the line. Say what you will, but Ranger is one of my fav IPA's out there, or at least the ones I have access to.

Tootsie rolls...does it still taste like tootsie rolls? If so then it is the same old Fat tire, if not then it was changed...

BTW my wife noticed that flavor 1st and now I can not have one without tasting that tootsie roll flavor...

Tootsie rolls...does it still taste like tootsie rolls? If so then it is the same old Fat tire, if not then it was changed...

BTW my wife noticed that flavor 1st and now I can not have one without tasting that tootsie roll flavor...

That's an interesting observation, I've never been a fan but not because of the rants above about it being flavorless or not special, etc. Rather, there was always a flavor that I found a little unpleasant, and tootsie roll isn't a bad description of it. Sometimes, I've perceived it as a burnt flavor.

But I know many people who really enjoy it - that's the great thing about having so many craft beer choices, we can drink what we like!

I was living in Fort Collins in the 90's, when New Belgium was on the rise. Locals swore that the beer had changed when the brewery ramped up production. Believe me, it tastes better when it is in short supply.
Like others have said, it is an ambassador beer: get people to stop drinking Coors and start drinking something more colorful. Shiner Bock has the same marketing effect in a different demographic. Hmm, perhaps instead of ambassador, I should say "gateway" beer.
Speaking of Tootsie Rolls, I used to like them. I've had some amazing chocolate since then, and I wonder how I got such a kick from something described as chocolate-y instead of chocolate.
Tastes change and familiarity breeds contempt.

I've been living in Maryland for a while and New Belgium just started distributing to my locale. Last time I had a Fat Tire, I remembered it as a fairly malty beer with just a touch of "Belgianness." However, the couple I had tonight were rather dry and tasted like any of a hundred generic amber ales. Granted, it was served too cold, but even at the end of a pint that I warmed with my hands as much as possible, there wasn't a lot of flavor there.

Has anyone else noticed a drop off in quality from NB over the last year or so, or am I just going crazy?[/QUO

The recommended serving for Fat Tire is 45 degrees F. if I recall correctly. The breadiness really comes out around that temperature. At colder temperatures the signature flavor and aroma decrease dramatically. Try almost any beer at different temperatures and you'll find that most change with temperature as well.

If the beer is on tap the carbonation level will also affect flavor.

Bob

Back