Did the head fall?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eseavey

Reaction score
I am brewing a double IPA, loaded with hops. Now the instructions on the kit tell me to transfer to the second container when the head falls (1-3 days). I am on my 3rd day and am not sure if the head has completely fallen or if this is some floating hops. Any suggestions?

Thanks

IMAG0067.jpg

I would leave that in the pail for at least a week to two weeks. Are you dry hopping? If so, that's the only reason to secondary but you want that yeast completely finished before racking it....forget those instructions.

I would not transfer after three days of primary fermentation. Give it at least a week maybe even two but the ultimate test is the FG. Take a hydrometer reading and if it remains the same two or three days n a row it is done.

Transferring to a secondary is based on your personal preference, not mandatory. I like to but not too long with really hoppy brews.

Hope this helps some, enjoy!

Thank you everyone for your prompt responses.
@ hellebrewer: yes I am dry hopping.

This is only my third brew and wasn't sure. My last two amber ale brews were so clear when the head fell, I wasn't sure if it was different with a different beer.

BTW, it smells so good! I cannot wait to drink it....

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back