Did oxyclean ruin my bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobE

Reaction score
I soaked some of my empty bottles in an oxyclean solution to remove the labels. After rinsing and sanitizing in starsan, I noticed a white haze on the inside of the bottles. Will this ruin my beer if use these bottles?

You need to get the residue off, and it may not rinse off with plain water. Anything mildly acidic will remove it, such as starsan, so if you use starsan to sanitize it should be fine.

We call it scale, it's really common, it's just residue from the oxyclean as the water it's soaking in evaporates or reacting with minerals in the water. Usually a weak acid solution like vinegar and water, lemon juice and water, even a dillution of starsan and water usually breaks it down. Then lots of rinsing.

I have had that happen once before when soaking with Oxyclean. As suggested above, I submerged them in my 5 gallon bucket of Starsan and within 10 minutes they were spotless again.

Latest posts

Back