Did moving fermenter induce fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir_niveda

Reaction score
On 11/6 I brewed a Pliny the elder clone that I purchased online. After about three weeks (11/27) the fermenter had to be moved for the holiday (it was in an empty room, but it was about to have people in it). I did not notice any active fermentation at this time (though the first week was pretty furious), and after it settled I proceeded to dry hop, I also removed the blow off tube and replaced it with an airlock.
Now tonight I moved it from where it had last been into the kitchen so that I could bottle it (Its been 7 days since dry hop, 1 month in primary). However after I stirred it up from moving it, and it settled on the counter, the airlock began bubbling. The inside looked like it does when it first starts fermenting, with the beer stirring itself around. I decided to hold off on bottling, and left it where it was covered in a towel. I figured in a week Ill come back to it when it settles and bottle it.

So how/why did it appear to start fermenting again when I moved it, when it had already been moved previously. I failed to get an OG reading, so I feel that FG samples will be a little wasteful. Everything looks and smells great, but I don't have much experience brewing beers of this gravity and I thought a month would be enough. Will leaving it in the fermenter another week severely decrease the effect of the dry hops?

I had been reading that a lot of people dry hop in primary, but maybe this is one of those beers where secondary is necessary?

TLDR, for the most part. Rousing the yeast can help drop the beer a few more points. But that is when they are still somewhat active and you are simply getting them suspended again and in contact with the wort. After a month in primary the beer is done. When you moved the beer you knocked some of the dissolved co2 out of solution causing it to push through the airlock. Let the yeast settle some and then proceed to bottle.

Take two SG readings before you rack to the bottling bucket, with the priming sugar solution in it. May not be absolutely necessary, but then you won't have any worries about bottles becoming over pressurized. Your OG is as stated in the recipe if you used all the ingredients and the volume in the fermentor is correct.
Having the FG will also indicate if there was a problem with yeast attenuation that would need to be corrected for future brews. ABV can then be calculated with an established FG.

I had a very similar thing happen with my Pliny Clone, and within a day it settled back down to minimal or no bubbling, so the idea that CO2 was displaced makes a lot of sense to me.

Back