Did I shock my yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomroeder

Reaction score
Hello all....This may be a dumb question, but here it goes. I just got done brewing an irish stout, using dry yeast, I believe it was nottingham ale yeast, if I remember right, and it was 11g worth of yeast. I made a starter, 1/2 cup DME with 1 quart of water. It fermented almost 2 days before I pitched it, a nice looking starter. I didn't realize, but when I chilled my wort and transferred it to the carboy, the wort temp was about 58 degrees, and my yeast starter was about 66 degrees. I know that yeast can be shocked, but was this enough of a temp difference to make a difference?

Thanks

No, you're fine. But in the future you don't need to make a starter with dry yeast, either rehydrate it or just sprinkle it on top of your wort in the fermenter.

Though temps are important, yeast is hardy enough to endure the temp changes you describe. I've racked onto a cup of boiling Dextrose, and in the end they sucked it up.

Back