Did I screw up ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtrogers14

Reaction score
I am on my 8th all grain brew. Here is my worry. I made a porter on 10/21. I left in a vanilla bean and a cinnamon stick. I wanted to take out the cinnamon and vanilla after 2 weeks and not leave it the whole 4. I opted to move the porter to a secondary (never done that before) I always worry about either oxygen or some sort of infection. Now that its in the secondary I am nervous and feel like I should just bottle it now. The gravity reading had been the same for a few days before I racked it to the secondary today. Any suggestions ???

While racking to secondary offers up a chance of oxidation, if you transferred your beer from one vessel to the other using a racking cane and syphon then you've done all you could to keep oxidation to a minimal. Your secondary shouldn't have a lot of head space nor should you expect to see fermentation activity if your gravity readings were stable over a few days prior to transfer.

I wouldn't worry about it so much. Let it go the 2 weeks, if you start to see something that resembles an infection, ask here first (compare pics already posted) and then proceed. Based on the limited information you've provided, you have done everything you should have done and now you just need to relax.

Is this too much head space ??

image-1063002719.jpg

You're fine. That is not too much head space. Like Double D said, as long as you sanitized everything you'll be good to go.

Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Home-Brew.

As long as you used proper sanitation procedures and were gentle with the transfer (minimal splashing/stirring/etc), everything should be fine.

I don't secondary anymore, but when I did I routinely transferred into vessels with far too much head space. I never had any issues, because I was careful. If you were, you will be fine.

Latest posts

Back