Did I ruin my carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pinhead

Reaction score
I stored my carboy with Oxy Clean in it. Crystals from the oxy clean are now stuck on the bottom of my carboy. I normally use a towel attached to a treaded rod in my drill to clean my carboy's but it wont remove the crystals. Tried putting bleach in no luck. Put more Oxy in no luck either.

Thinking of getting toilet brush (new) and trying that in the drill. Never have had much luck with the carboy brushes and currently don't have one but could get one next week.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Try a Starsan solution soak for 24 hours. If that doesn't work go the opposite way with a baking soda solution. Rinse the Starsan solution first.

If that doesn't work use a paste of baking soda. Baking soda paste gives you a very fine grit. The paste and a brush may remove it.

Glass carboy I hope?

I'd use Softscrub or Barkeeper's Friend and a little water with the rag on the drill. A bit of friction helps to scour those crystals down. They should be safe for glass and not scratch it.

Latest posts

Back