did i over pitch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishrover32

Reaction score
i made a ZD clone last night using rehydrated S-04, the batch was about 4 gallons, i used about .65 ounces of S-04 mixed with 5.6 ounces of water @ 80F it had a nice thick foamy head on it before i pitched, i pitched the yeast and within about 4 hours it took off like a rocket, right now its bubbling like crazy, like machine gun fire, iv never had a fermentation like this any thoughts? good or bad?

Sounds like some happy yeast to me. I wouldn't worry about overpitching with those results. My ZD clone actually blew through my airlock on S-04 yeast. I used one packet in 5 gallons...

Sounds fine to me also. The first few days things are hot and heavy. It will settle down.

Sometimes a very active fermentation is a sign wort temperature has climbed to high. Yeast as it works will produce heat. Check your wort to see if it is in the temperature range you want.

i used about .65 ounces of S-04 mixed with 5.6 ounces of water @ 80F it had a nice thick foamy head on it before i pitched, i pitched the yeast and within about 4 hours it took off like a rocket, right now its bubbling like crazy, like machine gun fire, iv never had a fermentation like this any thoughts? good or bad?

I'm a little confused. .65 ounces is 18.4 grams. A single packet of S-04 is 11 grams. Are you saying that you pitched almost 2 packets into a 4-gallon batch? What was the gravity?

What were/are your pitch/ferment temps? What you're describing about it taking off like that brings up the possibility that both are on the warm side.

I'm a little confused. .65 ounces is 18.4 grams. A single packet of S-04 is 11 grams. Are you saying that you pitched almost 2 packets into a 4-gallon batch? What was the gravity?

What were/are your pitch/ferment temps? What you're describing about it taking off like that brings up the possibility that both are on the warm side.

thats correct, my OG was 1.072 so pretty high, i pitched at around 75F and its sitting at around 71C now, id like it much lower than that but im having trouble gettin it down i might put it on some ice blocks, would that be ok?

Back