Did I over pitch = Flat Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yettiman

Reaction score
Ok,

Long story but I will try to keep it short.

I wanted to make up half a Wychwoods Sundew kit, as 5 gals at one time is a bit much. So I got some 1 gall demijohns to ferment in and made up a single gallon, so touring the excess wort extract (canned) in the fridge, as I was going to 'play' with Specilist grains on the other two batches.

One of the demijons cracked whilst leaning so I decided to experiment another time and simply make up the remainder of he can as per the instructions. And use the already started batch as a starter.

But when calculating the water, I forgot to include the very large 'yeast starter' in my calcs and went over by 1/2 a gall.

Not an issue for me, as I wanted an vey lite summer beer anyway.

The fermentation took off like a rocket, was bubbling like a witches caldron within 3 hours and it was all over within 4 days.

I left it in the FV for another two weeks to condition en mass, before bottling.

The beer going into the bottles was crystal clear.

Could it be too clear?

Even after 4 weeks it still has not really carbonated.

It is drinkable (to, me as I like a fairly flat beer) and I am serving it ice cold as a summer drink.

But as a Lite beer it does not really work.

Did all the yeast drop out in be FV, leaving none for carbonation?

Ok,

Long story but I will try to keep it short.

I wanted to make up half a Wychwoods Sundew kit, as 5 gals at one time is a bit much. So I got some 1 gall demijohns to ferment in and made up a single gallon, so touring the excess wort extract (canned) in the fridge, as I was going to 'play' with Specilist grains on the other two batches.

One of the demijons cracked whilst leaning so I decided to experiment another time and simply make up the remainder of he can as per the instructions. And use the already started batch as a starter.

But when calculating the water, I forgot to include the very large 'yeast starter' in my calcs and went over by 1/2 a gall.

Not an issue for me, as I wanted an vey lite summer beer anyway.

The fermentation took off like a rocket, was bubbling like a witches caldron within 3 hours and it was all over within 4 days.

I left it in the FV for another two weeks to condition en mass, before bottling.

The beer going into the bottles was crystal clear.

Could it be too clear?

Even after 4 weeks it still has not really carbonated.

It is drinkable (to, me as I like a fairly flat beer) and I am serving it ice cold as a summer drink.

But as a Lite beer it does not really work.

Did all the yeast drop out in be FV, leaving none for carbonation?
Yeasties are billions and billions.. Clear or not.

Latest posts

Back