Did I make too big of a starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtbiker278

Reaction score
Well I missed my brew day this past weekend. In getting ready I took two washed yeast jars and put them into a 3 quart starter with intermittent swirling (every 3-4 hours). This was done on Saturday in anticipation for brewing on Sunday. The starter wort was low on the gravity 1.020 cause I really just wanted to wake the yeast up. Unfortunately Sunday was too busy and couldn't get to brew.

I'm planning on getting to brew this coming weekend. I made another 3Quarts of starter wort at around 1.030, again with intermittent swirling. I'm planning on letting this finish out and chill it down to decant.

Is this going to be too much of a starter? I tried to use Mr Malty to calculate how much yeast I would have, but it only lists yeast slurry in the amount needed. This is going to be for a 5.5gal batch of IPA (~1.060SG). I figure if anything I can pour in only a part of the starter and save the rest in the fridge.

Thanks for the help!

That should be fine - with intermittent shaking, it's difficult to build up enough yeast to constitute an overpitch at 1.060 OG, even in 3 quarts.

You can save some of the yeast from the starter using the same method that you use to wash yeast from the fermenter.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll pitch 80% of it and wash the rest. I'm thinking it's definitely going to need a blow-off tube and some secondary containment (Bathtub)!

Try some fermcap-s on the batch... Just for giggles and grins...

Used it for the first time on the 26th since I had planned to ferment in a corny... Had no foam go into the airlock fitted to the corny, and didn't need to rig a blow-off tube either... Plan to use it in most of my batches moving forward...

I have seen some reviews of Ferm-Cap. Still haven't thought to get it while I was at the LHBS. I actually don't mind the foam/blow-off, lets me know that the yeast is doing it's job. I also haven't had a problem with boil-overs since I do 5-6gal batches in a 15gal pot. Maybe if I start doing 10gal batches I'll look into it more.

One of the things I'm liking about fermcap is that you won't lose any wort to the blow-off bucket... More kept in primary, the more you get to bottle, and then drink. :rockin:

Back