Did I kill them?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walte1fr

Reaction score
A month ago my hops all broke ground but only just the tip was showing. we were going to get frost and snow so I sprinkled 1/2 in of dirt over the part that was showing. Now only 2 out of 6 are up. any ideas? the 2 that are up are over 1 ft tall...the rest below ground still (cascade, centennial, columbus, and halleture(sp))

First I'm jealous, Royal oak has great bars/breweries.

Second, I don't know a lot about hops specifically but off the top of my head I would use my hands or a soft (read:not sharp) tool to slowly expose the plants again. From what I'm aware, either the cold or the lack of sunlight again after they broke ground the plant may not be able to grow enough to break ground again from the nutrients in the rhizomes/seeds/whatchamacallit.

Ok thanks. I actually don't live in Royal Oak anymore. I moved up north a ways but I do still have a house down there. I am a mug club member there also lol. yeah I'm worried about them. Thanks for the reply

You're worrying about 1/2" of dirt? Come on man, give these guys some credit. Hops are extremely hardy. You have nothing to worry about. :)

I planted mine 2 weeks ago. It has been cold at night here in Michigan but no frosts that I am aware of. I put an irrigation drip line (1/4") in the box & run it twice daily for 1 hour. Buried them in about 3-4" of soil & covered with mulch. All the rhizomes had at least 1 or more shoots. Still havent seen anything yet. Hope mine arent dead too! Do i need to water more?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I cannot remember. It was based on length. Need to go back & see what it says. My soil is just damp. No accumulation of water. My wife noticed a shoot tonite. See below. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399593910.050721.jpg

Here are the pictures of them. I pulled dirt away with my hand down to the crown. 1 is growing like gang busters. 1 had one big shoot then it broke off in the wind but more are coming up. The other 4 haven't done anything
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399853699.119349.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1399853722.579216.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1399854044.462219.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1399854109.621977.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1399854127.639551.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1399854144.151087.jpg

That's been done Thanks. Yeah I've gone through it a couple times. it got away that time because I was gone for a week. I rototilled around it before they started coming up then did around the crown by hand.

If they aren't first years I doubt they are dead. Give them a little more time.

another update. I turned the soil but There may be something eating them. I pulled up a root from the ones not coming up and the one that has the most up. They feel and look exactly the same. I put fencing up around it and tied it over the top so nothing can get under or over it. I hope this lets them come up

another update. I turned the soil but There may be something eating them. I pulled up a root from the ones not coming up and the one that has the most up. They feel and look exactly the same. I put fencing up around it and tied it over the top so nothing can get under or over it. I hope this lets them come up

RDWHAHB. Chillax and drink a beer, soon enough you'll be watching them grow.

Are these first year hops from Rhizones? My centennial are 12 feet tall already and the cascades not far behind. I do have a first year columbus though that just popped up today.

As I posted yesterday as soon as I got back from my trip I took the picture then turned the soil over and pulled the weeds. These are actually 3rd year plants. I planted them last year as a 2nd year plant not a rhizome. Yeah I'm hoping I'm Just over reacting lol I was really hoping for a good crop this year.

Had a frost warning last night. I got them all covered but going to have to again tonite as another warning issued. I have many shoots & not concerned about those. I have one that is just hitting the strings for training. What do i do with that one?

Take some plastic and build a teepee around it, being careful to not let the plastic touch the plant overnight.

Back