Did I just ruin my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeastside

Reaction score
So I learned something today that may be of interest. I left my blow off tube apparatus on my carboy for 2.5 weeks, which is well after the active fermentation was complete. My set up is a simple drilled bung with 3/8 inch vinyl tubing leading to a gallon jug with Starsan.

When I checked on it today (after not looking at it for over a week) I noticed some clear Starsan sitting in the tube outside of the gallon jug. So I lifted the tube to see if I could drain it back into the jug, but it all wouldn't go. So I gently lifted the end of the tub out of the Starsan and suddenly the Starsan in the tube was sucked into my carboy! Apparently there was quite a suction built up that I didn't know about. I guess this happened after the active fermentation stopped.

About a foot of clear Starsan that was in the tube got sucked into my beer. So did I ruin my batch? I doubt it, but I thought I'd share my experience. I sure as heck won't be leaving a blow off tube on any longer than necessary in the future!

That tube has less than 2oz of StarSan in it. It would take about 20X that much to start tinging the flavor of 5 gallons of beer, and StarSan is perfectly OK to drink (though it reportedly causes diahhera in large quantities, dunno who figured that one out).

Anyway, that little bit is inconsequential. Your beer is fine! :mug:

I can't say from experience, but from what I have seen in other posts, a little Star San never hurt anyone. As a side not, after the real fermentation is done, I always swtich back to an airlock.

As soon as the starsan hits the beer the PH goes up and it basically turns into yeast food and water.

A couple ounces of starsan into your beer is inconsequential.

Great, just as I figured. Thanks for reassuring me! And yes, I'll be switching to air locks ASAP from here on out.

You my need blowoff tubes at times. Just disconnect it from the bucket/carboy before lifting it out of you jar and any suck back in the tube will just drain out.

Back