Did I goof up my starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snyder

Reaction score
Here's the story. My Belgian wit smack pack came already activated. I put it in the fridge for a couple of weeks till I got around to making a starter to be on the safe side. I pulled it out last night, and today it bulged a bit more. The directions I found for a starter were:
2/3 c. LME
2 1/2 c. water
2 hop pellets
I cooled to 70, and dumped it together with the yeast. I noticed after the fact that my gravity topped out my scale. I thought the gravity should be in the 1.040 range. Was that because of the hop sediment, or were starter directions wrong? I'm hoping that this is my first RDWHAHB moment:D

The gravity should have been around 1.040 based on the 2 cups water to 1/2 cups DME starter theory. It might have been a bit higher but not by much. Yes, this is a RDWHAHB moment. Your starter will be fine.

As far as hops are concerned, its not a necessity to put them in. It's optional.

I wish more people knew about MrMalty.com.

Here is the link: Mr Malty

has pretty much everything you need to nkow about starters, along Wit some other great info!

Excellent, however, many starters will not krausen, so if you make one in the future and don't notice a whole lot of activity, just smell it; if its got that good yeastie smell, more than likely it is growin.

Back