Did I get N2 Instead of CO2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ppeg34

Reaction score
I am a complete noob to kegging. But, I got a complete setup, went to "airgas" and bought a CO2 tank. After hooking everything up and dialing in the regulator my beer began to pressurize (as I assume is normal).

I started out at 30 psi to force carb for the first 24 hours and then I was going to dial back down to 13 or so psi. I purged the kegs and dialed back in to 13 psi and let things repressurize. I came back a few hours later to find that the regulator had crept up to around 40 psi. I purged everything again and turned the CO2 tank to off. Again everything repressurized to around 30 psi. Throughout this whole process whenever I poured beer I got nothing but very creamy head as can be seen in the first two pictures. After messing around with this over the past few days I can't think of anything that could cause such very small bubbles and nothing but head other than maybe I got a nitrogen blend instead of just CO2. I don't know what it looks like to pour nitrogen carbed beer out of a picnic tap, but if I had to guess I would assume it looked something like this.

Can you guys offer any other insight into this? I am really at a loss at this point.

These are the pictures I meant to attach

IMG00033-20110414-0044.jpg

IMG00034-20110414-0045.jpg

IMG00035-20110414-0046.jpg

You definitely got CO2. It appears that your beer is either overcarbonated or overpressurized given the line length you're using. Dial the pressure back to zero, release the keg's relief valve, then use 4 psi to serve. If you get a decent pint, dial the pressure up a little. You should serve around 8-10 psi.

If the beer is foamy when serving at 4 psi, you have a problem. Disconnect the gas and post a response.

Also check what temperature you have the beer at (and how long has it been in the fridge - 1 day or a few days now?)
I had similar looking "beer" when I didn't pay attention to the fact that the lower the number or my fridge meant the higher the temperature and I was serving the beer at 12 deg C :eek:

I exchanged my 20# co2 tank at airgas yesterday and got home and it has a sticker that said NOS so it was also my fault to cuz I didn't look at it before I left the store so I have to go back to the store today to get co2 not NOS. I guess they don't look at the tanks when they grab them.

Thanks, very helpful. I have kept the CO2 off and been constantly purging the kegs. The pressure has finally gotten down into the 5 psi range, where I can dial pressure back in again. I think what really confounded my problem is that I was keeping the CO2 cylinder in the keezer and there was a very long lag between when I dialed it in to when the gauge increased.

I poured a pint at 4 psi and it was looking good!

I exchanged my 20# co2 tank at airgas yesterday and got home and it has a sticker that said NOS so it was also my fault to cuz I didn't look at it before I left the store so I have to go back to the store today to get co2 not NOS. I guess they don't look at the tanks when they grab them.

Beer infused with laughing gas - that could be a pretty awesome combination!

Back