Did I destroy my beer, too late to add sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tog

Reaction score
Hi. I made 8 litres of pilsner and then mistakenly chilled it after moving it into 2 litre bottles from the fermentor (at about 3 weeks of fermenting). I did this because the beer tasted ok coming right out of the fermentor. The day after they were chilled, the beer tasted horrible.

After I removed the bottles and let them sit for a bout a week at room temp the beer actually got drinkable. Is it too late to add some sugar to create some more carbonation in there? They've been outside the fermentor almost 2 weeks now.

Thanks

I don't claim any expertise in this but I think time is your friend here. Let them sit a few weeks at room temperature. Maybe a very gentle swirl of the bottle to rouse the yeast but then again probably not. I think the risk of bottle bombs outweighs the benefit. I wouldn't add sugar just let the yeast do their thing. It's not at all unusual for bottles to sit on the shelf for many months and still taste great.

Hope this helps.

Yeah they're alright as long as you don't open them- are they in plastic 2 liters? If so you will feel the pressure from CO2 when they get close. It takes me between 10 to 20 days at 70F to carbonate fully depending on how heavy the beer is. The fact you chilled it will slow things down a bit.

The one you tried was probably terrible because it's mostly flat and still wretchedly sweet with priming sugar.

Wait for it and make sure the beer is in a sanitized environment

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back